Prologue

VANGELI 

PROLOGUE

I couldn't help it by staying away from home even if I wanted to but one way or the other, I had to come back home as I haven't taken off from the ground and still landing there. I thought that after my internship that I would be permanently hired but no, I have not. More or less, I should say that other interns were hired while I wasn't hired. I would say that it was my bad luck or should I say that I do not have the best in luck when it comes to job hunting. I thought that things will be easy to find my feet along the art industry and prove my mother wrong that my degree is not useless but can provide a job like any other degree out there and I thought that I am proving her wrong when I got my internship based in Cape town and didn't waste any time in moving from here to there of which was the hardest thing to do. It was a different environment from Durban. Quiet the little opposite of what I had expected but I always missed home though I couldn't come back because I wanted to save money as much as I could without wasting it. Plus, my mother was a nag at times and I didn't want to hear the beginning of how my career won't get me anywhere in life.  

Here I am back in Durban with all of my luggage and things I bought in Cape town. Some I had to sell because I couldn't move back with it but others I did come back with. I didn't expect to hit rock bottoms this quite quick and prove my mother right in a way. I won't hear the end of it so long as I am unemployed, she will tell me what is due to me.  

I get along with my mother. Some days, we clash at times but I would say I get along with her. I am her only child and she have no other and with my father, I am one of his many children that just know where their father is and know their many siblings too.  

I would say that he does not know how to keep his pants zipped up because my youngest sibling is 12 years old last time I checked. 

I am not even the oldest out of his children but one of the old ones as I am 24 years old. All my life I have depended on my mother the most, rather than my father who had to think of the many mouths he should feed out of his sperms. Trust me he chose none I would believe. It is quite difficult if you ask me because it would've been easy if he had like three sperms to feed but no it's more than that.  

“Wake up we are going to pray”, she pulls the covers off my bed as I am resting.  

Another thing I hate. The spiritual devotion my mother has with God. I do not criticize anyone who has a close relationship with God. I would say that is good for you but do not drag the left behind us into it when we are not ready for it. My name speaks God in it. Mainly because my mother named me Unaminjalo uthixo engimkhonzayo(God with me) something along those lines but I use Unaminjalo as my full name and Unami to shorten it. 

I tried this closer to God thing and it got difficult for me to handle that I found the easy way out of it. Yes, I am not always on the bible and praying every day and fasting every chance I get but I do pray at times when I feel like I need God in my life to intervene. Like in my relationship when I thought Nkulu was cheating on me and I should calm down before I commit the biggest sin of them all and that is murder.  

To me all sins are different sizes though it has been preached that all sins are the same but I do not believe that. I know what I know and I am taking that into consideration. 

I grab my phone from my desk pedestal and look at it.  

”It’s midnight ma”,I complain already feeling drowsy

“Yes, the demons are lurking at this time and we need to pray for direction in your life as you are lost”

Please understand that I love my mother with my whole heart. I mean she has sacrificed a lot for me to be where I am. The little privileged spoilt brat that I grew up to be and got everything I wanted without having to share anything.