Chapter 18

Chapter 18

UNAMINJALO

Just after Mkhulu left Vangeli has been locked up in his study and has been in there for far too long. I have been doing some bible reading and watching some sermons on youtube and later on I have questions that I will ask Vangeli of which I know he will not have a problem answering. I am worried about him since he has not even had his lunch. My mother does call just to check if I am okay and if I am treating her son in law well of which I think so far I am as much as he is doing the same. Its almost 15:00 and I am getting quite worried about this man. I heard him pray too during the day. Twice I tell you so that is what worries me so much. 

Here I am standing infront of his study door and I knock on the door. 

“Baby I am not okay, I need you”, I say. 

Silence, I feel like crying right now. I knock on the door again. 

“Are you angry at me for something? Can you come out so we can talk?”, I say again 

The door opens and he appears infront of me and I throw my arms around him and he holds me. 

“You have scared me”, I say. 

“I am sorry”, he says. 

“What is wrong?”, I ask him and he sighs. 

“Come in so that I can tell you”

We let go of each other and we make our way inside his office and I get to sit on his chair and he stands infront of me. 

The scattered bibles and diaries on his table with some of his highlighter’s and pens got me more worried or maybe I shouldn’t be. 

“What is wrong?”

“Mkhulu told me something today”, he says and now I am much interested in what they were talking about. 

“Oh really?”

He nods his head and he sighs. 

“The lady that we fetched yesterday, what did you think of her?”

I remember her a bit. I think she is Asanda’s sister that fell pregnant and stopped going to church but what really I have been thinking of is how that girl she was holding looks like Pastor Zikalala but io told myself that I might be imagining things and it was dark too. 

“She is okay I guess, why he is pursiuing her before he finalizes his divorce?”, men! 

I don’t want to judge the man for all we know I shouldn’t concern myself without knowing anything. 

“They are friends with benefit but that is beside the point”, again Men!

I nod my head so that I can give him the go ahead to talk about what he means. 

He looks at me and he sighs closing his eyes. 

“She is a victim too”

“Of what?”

“Of Zikalala’s prying ways. Mkhulu told me that she is a rape victim from him. Her family didn’t take the matter seriously even though her daughter looks like the man”, he says and I cover my mouth. 

“Vangeli”, I say softly. 

I cannot imagine how her pain is like. 

“How can be people be so cruel?”, I am not surprised by Asanda. 

“I am also asking myself that question”

There is silence between us. 

“I am sure wherever he is he is still doing these evil deeds”, I say. I feel like flying wherever he is and lay my hands on him as old as he is.