Chapter 17

Chapter 17

ASANELE

“Asanele vula lomnyango ngikhuluma nawe!(Asanele open this door I am talking to you)”, it is my mother banging the door. 

I know that soon my father will follow and when he follows I believe that the door will be removed from it’s hinges. 

I don’t know what my parents want from me because I am not bothering them but Asanda had to go and tell my parents that I am selling my body to the highest bidder. Well she assumes I am now a sugar baby just because she saw the car that Mkhulu dropped me off with this morning. 

Yes, yesterday we were at it again the night before and he brought me back in the morning mainly because he told me he has to a family meeting between his family and his wife’s family in Howick. As I was dropped off Asanda was already outside and my baby was done. All she said to me when I passing her and she said “You are bringing another unwanted child?”, I just ignored her and went inside the house. 

Kwabe ukuqala kwezinkulumo(It was the start of me not hearing the end of it).\

She told my mother and I am sure by now my father has heard what is happening. My cheek is throbbing from the itching hand my mother had to touch my skin. 

One shouting led to another and now I am stuck in this room with my daughter looking terrified from my mother’s shouting but I mask a smile and pull her closer to me as we are sitting on the bed. 

“Why is gogo shouting?”, she asks. 

“Don’t worry about that”, I say. 

Bang!bang!bang!

“Yeyi Asanele phuma lapho uphume kwami!(Asanele get out of there and get out od my house!),”my mother says and I keep my silence.  

The door starts getting banged on it badly like a body weight was trying to remove it.

“Mama I am scared”, Lelami says.

“Don’t be”, I pull her closer to me and hold her. 

The door finally moves from hits hinges and I see the neighbours son here with his friend. They called him to come and open the door.  

My father walks in ready with his sjambok and the first thing I thought of is to cover my daughter. 

He pulls me away from her and he lays the first lash, no words spoken. I cry at that moment. 

“Mbambeni bafana bami(Hold her my boys)”, my mother instructs her new sons. 

They come closer to me but I am already fighting to get off my father’s hold and he is constantly hitting me like I am a child. 

“Mama!”, Lelami cries for me. 

My father pins me against the wall and he looks at me. 

“Get out of my house”, he says. 

“I don’t have anywhere to go its late at night”

“You should’ve thought of that before becoming a town bicycle. We don’t want you here and you are nothing like Asanda”, my mother says and tears stream down my cheeks.

My father let’s go of me. 

“I give you 10 minutes to take all that is yours and leave this house”, the tone in his voice says that I shouldn’t even pass a minute of that given time. 

He walks out while my mother is monitoring my moves.

I quickly pack the important documents for my child and I and I take our clothes. At the moment all I could think of is the place that we are going to.