Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I look at Vangeli who was still seated on the bed busy on the laptop of his while I had gone to take a bath and I have already changed so as he, I thought that he was getting ready and the conference is within an hour from now and now I am confused as to why he is here still and not fully dressed and ready for what we came here for. 

“Hey, why are you not ready?”, I ask already I am halfway done with getting ready. 

I would assume that he should be done before I am but today it seems like I am done first. 

“Ready for what?”, he lifts his head and looks at me. 

“The conference, what we came here for”

“Oh change of plans we are not going anymore”, I frown.

This man, what? He… what?

“But you have prepared for this day for some time Vangeli you have a speech to deliver”,it’s a young sermon actually just sharing what he is good in.

“Well change of plans we are not going”, he says looking at me and by the look on his face he is being serious. 

The softness that I am used to is not quiet there but I could hear the authority that came with the fact that we are not going to that conference anymore. 

“Is it about what I told you?”, I ask and he sighs and closes his eyes before removing the laptop to the side of the bed. 

He opens his arms for me and he encourages me to come to him of which I do. I get closer to him and he pulls me to sit on his lap and wraps his arms around me. 

“I never expected it, I won’t lie. Pastor Zikalala has been someone I have known for years and him being a family friend too”, I understand what he means. 

“I am sorry”

“Don’t ever be sorry for speaking up about what he did, I just wonder if he has been doing it for some time.”, he says. 

I keep my silence and he looks at me. 

“You shouldn’t worry about him okay? He will not come near you”, he says. 

“I would love that”

“Why don’t you change out of this beautiful dress and we should go around this place and explore it”,he says and I smile. 

“What should we do?”, I ask.

“Anything you have in mind?”

“Let’s go and watch a movie or maybe we can stay in and watch one together then order some food”, I say. 

“I am okay with that”

“Okay let me go and change then”, I get off his lap and walk to the door. 

“Unami”, I turn around and face him. 

“Yes?”

“I don’t want you to try and be the perfect Mamfundisi but just be yourself and I know you are a good woman just misunderstood”, I giggle. 

“You think I am misunderstood?”, he nods. 

“Yes, teaching those kids you teach shows the great heart you have and a great person”

“I won’t be perfect but I would love to meet you half way”, I say. 

He smiles widely. 

“I love you so much, don’t forget that”

“I wouldn’t, let me go and quickly change”,I say and rush out of the room. 

I feel a bit of relief that I have said this, I was once scared of telling anyone this but some weight is lifted off my shoulders.