Chapter 44

Chapter 44

My father made it into fetching me and I had to inform him of what is going on and my brothers are here too. He has been shaking his head since we left the Ngubane house hold and Vangeli didn’t fight my father in taking me away but his parents were the ones making much noise with their family cheerleaders too. I know I will see my husband very soon but at the moment I feel like going home and being surrounded by people who love me.

“Awuphinde futhi mina angiyizwa lendaba(Please say it again,I am not getting these news)”,one of my older brothers says.

“It is all that I said”

“So now since your husband is not agreeing he saw it best that you are introduced through a man you are not married to?”, my dad says.

“Yes”

“Unami, just like your God, ancestors are not to be taken lightly. Just because you don’t believe in them doesn’t mean they are not also powerful at times”

“What do you suggest baba because I cannot take it anymore”

“Uthini yena umfana lowo ozoshadiswa naye?(What is this boy saying that you are going to be wedded to?)”

“I am not marrying him”

“You are Unami, his ancestors will recognize you as his wife not your pastor husband”, they have been referring to Vangeli as inceku, my pastor anything related to church since I have gotten in this car.

I rest my body on the seat I am on.

My father looks at me through the review mirror.

“They are also wrong for discussing such matters without us”, he says.

His offsprings agree with him.

They will agree with him because they are used to these traditional things and they have a set of rules that I don’t know where they really come from.

“You know my mom will not hear any of this”

“That is why we should intervene”

Will she even allow that?

“So what do you suggest I do? The solution?”

“We don’t want you saying that we are having a say in your marriage life, if your husband and his family see it fit and okay then do it. Vele thina we are not part of that family but It could go in many cases in this matter”, my brother next to me says.

I sigh.

“Okay”, I keep quiet there after.

I look out of the window as the car moves wallowed in thoughts of everything and everything is just becoming difficult at the moment. I don’t know what to do but what I know is that I want to be alright and that I am tired of fighting with my husband, I want us to go back to the way we were before we even knew about his ancestral things. The way we were when we first got married, where I felt like I have been introduced to the right love that my husband has for me. Is that wrong? That I want everything to be fine just like before.

I find myself letting out tears from my eyes, I am tired, God I just want everything to be okay and for everything to go back the way things were.

“Baba Unami is crying”, my brother says as he looks over to me and I wipe my tears.

“Are you okay?”, he asks.

“No, I am tired”, I say.

“Everything will be okay, akukho okungadluli(There is nothing that doesn’t pass)’, he says.