twenty two

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter twenty two.

HUNTER LAID, SLUMPED BACK in the barely cushioned chair as she stared blankly at the Diaz in the hospital bed

HUNTER LAID, SLUMPED BACK in the barely cushioned chair as she stared blankly at the Diaz in the hospital bed. Ana stood, holding his hand gently as the man rested his eyes, finally awake after his surgery. The sound of heavy footsteps, like someone was running, caught her attention. Looking up, Buck slowed to a stop as he reached the room, taking his mask off as he peered in.

"Hey, Buck," Eddie said, voice weak from the injuries, barely able to move his head.

Ana smiled softly, moving away towards the door, "I'll be back in a little bit."

"How are you feeling?" Buck asked, moving to sit in the seat next to Hunter, his hand picking up hers gently.

Eddie rolled his head to the side to look at them, "Like I got shot."

Hunter covered her mouth as she snorted lightly at the man, his humor was still intact despite the circumstances. Maybe that was a good sign. The Diaz looked at Hunter, "You told me to get down... you knew it was coming."

The blonde nodded her head somberly, "Didn't know it soon enough... The scope reflected down on the windshield, they say sun is a sniper's worst enemy." It was true, but the soft smile on her face that Eddie saw right through showed that she hadn't been making a joke in that moment.

"It might have ended up in my head if you hadn't pulled me down," Eddie told the girl sincerely. His voice was hoarse like he was struggling to talk, his face pale as his body tried to heal itself.

Hunter shrugged, it never felt like she had done enough. Digging her free hand into her pocket she sunk down even further into the chair, the feeling of the storage key in her pocket was the one comforting lead that she held on to. She couldn't save her last best friend from the death brought on by Solotov and she could barely save Eddie.

He was right, if she had been later there was a chance one, if not both of them, wouldn't be breathing. Although those circumstances were ones Hunter didn't want to think about in that moment.