seventeen

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter seventeen.

HUNTER PRESSED THE COLD opening of the coors banquet beer bottle against her lip as she took a sip of the alcohol

HUNTER PRESSED THE COLD opening of the coors banquet beer bottle against her lip as she took a sip of the alcohol. Sitting on the counter, with her feet pressing into one of Buck's bar stools she watched as him and Taylor Kelly took turns downing shots.

The redheaded girl had pulled the bottle of gin out of her purse as soon as Buck opened the door for her, Taylor's smile turning into a frown as she spotted the Callahan woman nursing a bottle of beer. Maybe it was the fact that Hunter didn't like gin that she didn't touch the bottle of liquor Taylor had brought. Or, maybe it was the strong spite Hunter held that she refused to be near anything associated with the woman.

"Yeah, but I should've known better," Taylor spoke, throwing back the shooter of caramel colored liquid, "I'm a trained journalist."

"Eh," Hunter shrugged out quietly.

She should have known better, they all should have known better. The treasure was a hoax, a social experiment ran by a lonely man who needed the city of LA for research. Of course, it was too good to be true, that was what most of the 118 had thought. It would be too easy, to simple to hide and then have people find a treasure. Because in LA, no one ever did anything that they didn't directly benefit from.

"Think of it as a... a big adventure," Buck tried to lighten the mood but Taylor just shrugged as she grabbed the bottle of gin and stood up. Hunter's eyes trailed the movements of the Kelly woman as she walked towards the map.

"We were so close."

"And then that selfish, lazy bastard ruined everything. Actually, that's not fair-" Taylor cut herself off, "He wasn't completely lazy, you know, he did like to jog."

Hunter scrunched up her face as she thought hard, "Maybe he did bury it," she suggested, hopping down from the counter.

"Yeah, well what good does that do if we don't know where," Taylor pointed out with a sarcastic smile.

Hunter rolled her eyes, "Where did he jog, dumbass."

Taylor's eyes lit up as she looked down at the thumb tack covered map in front of them, "here," she said, "along the narrow end of the river."