twenty six

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter twenty six.

HUNTER'S DRUNKENNESS WAS long gone, she had been thoroughly sobered by the recording as she listened to it over and cover as she her truck sped down the LA freeway, the tires and axels shaking slightly over the strain she put on them

One hand sat on the top of the wheel, the other rested over the pistol that sat in the middle seat of her truck as she pulled into the unfamiliar apartment complex parking lot. She had been there once before, a long time ago when she had once visited Captain Holloway— an occasion in which he looked her in the eye and pretended everything was fine.

Her knuckles rasped against the apartment door. She was thankful in the moment that she had a good memory as the door opened to reveal the familiar man.

"Gunny?" He spoke, confusion lacing his voice as he eyed the blonde haired woman in front of him. She squinted her eyes at him, how dare he call her that nickname after the betrayal he had committed.

Hunter pushed past him and into the apartment, closing the door with her foot as she pulled the black pistol from her waistband that was hidden by her jacket.

"Woah... hey, now," Holloway carefully said as he raised his hands slightly in surrender, eyes watching the woman carefully as he stared down the end of her gun.

Hunter's face was hard and angry, "five years you let me carry around that guilt..." she spoke, her voice was quiet but firm, "you let me think I killed my fiancé but the reality is that you killed your best friend— you just had me pull the trigger."

His face contorted, gulping hard as he took a step back, "I don't know what you think you heard—"

"Five years!" She yelled at him, "do you know how many ops we ran together where I went out there thinking you had my back."

"I always had your back," he tried to tell her.

"No, you don't get to lie here," she squinted at him, "you sent Lane into the lions den."