twenty

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter twenty.

HUNTER HAD TRIED TO IGNORE the lingering gazes of both Buck and Bobby

HUNTER HAD TRIED TO IGNORE the lingering gazes of both Buck and Bobby. Her captain had watched her closely since her last shift, wondering if or when she would break down at the loss of friends hitting her heart. It worried him most that she seemed okay, her eyes were dimmer than normal, but if anyone knew how to fake a lie, it was Hunter. She put on the face that kept people from asking questions.

Buck hardly strayed from her. Hunter had never told him of the death of her unit mates, only informing him that Kyle and Miranda would be staying in her apartment. Hunter hadn't spent that first night with him, she opted to sleep on her own couch. But the second night, she had stayed with him in his bed.

He watched her because as she slept that night he could feel her constantly moving, as if she had never really fallen asleep. But what really struck him the wrong way was she way she had shot out of bed to look out his window and down onto the street as a turning car accidentally shown their headlights through the blinds. Her hands gripped a nine millimetre, white knuckling it, as she looked down at the road.

Of course, the Callahan had simply used her finger to release the magazine before gently setting the gun and ammo down onto the nightstand. She had ran a hand over her face and through her blonde hair before returning under the covers, laying on her side as she watched the window. It had startled Buck enough to not ask a question, he wasn't sure if Hunter even knew he was awake. All he knew to do was roll closer and wrap and arm around her t-shirt clad waist.

He wasn't sure what had caused the sudden flare of paranoia, he knew the minds of veterans were hard to understand sometimes. He understood some nights were harder than others. Buck had experienced holder Hunter tighter as she lived through a dream that she thought he didn't know about. Some of the 118 even saw as she occasionally froze in the wake of loud clashing sounds. But Buck had never seen the girl so frazzled like that.

Even now, as they stood in front of Eddie and Chimney in the firehouse, his eyes hardly drifted from her even though he pretended he wasn't paying attention. "Damn. You're early," Buck had pointed out to Eddie who already stood dressed in his uniform.