eleven

LET YOU DOWNchapter eleven

LET YOU DOWN
chapter eleven.

HEN SLAMMED HER LOCKER shut, an anger radiating off of her

HEN SLAMMED HER LOCKER shut, an anger radiating off of her. "Woah," Hunter let out, "What's that about?"

Hen let out an angry sigh, turning to look at Hunter, "They want to take Nia away and give her back to her mom."

Hunter furrowed her eyebrows while tying off the end of her braids, "uh, wasn't that the plan all along..."

"Don't start," Hen snapped, pointing a finger, "She's been with us for almost a year, Karen and I are her family. She doesn't know her mom."

"Hen, but don't you think she should get the chance to?" Hunter pointed out, tossing her braids over her shoulder, "You guys fostered her with the intent of her mother regaining custody."

"They're taking my daughter away," Hen said, looking up at the ceiling in frustration, "I'm losing a member of my family, you wouldn't understand."

Hunter felt her jaw drop in disbelief, "Yeah," she mockingly agreed, "I wouldn't understand."

"Hunter-" Hen tried to stop the woman but Hunter instead stood from her spot on the bench and walked out of the locker room.

Hunter shook her head as she tried to control her breathing, hoping to slow the rising heartbeat. Apart of her knew that Hen had just made a mistake and didn't mean anything by her words. But the death of Cody was still fresh in Hunter's mind and it would be for awhile.

There were times when she forgot he was gone, like waking up and looking for a text or thinking about how she should call him and see how he was doing.

"Hey, anybody got any suggestions for baby names?" She heard as she walked around the corner of the engine truck. She watched as Buck perked up only to be shot down by Chimney, "Not any of your names."

"Uh, I thought you were just gonna put names in a hat."

Chimney shook his head, "That didn't go too well."