forty one

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter forty one.

THE WAILS OF THE SIRENS pierced into her ears as the 118 travelled down the road

THE WAILS OF THE SIRENS pierced into her ears as the 118 travelled down the road. Hunter adjusted how the headphones sat on her head before settling into her seat more, the turnout gear on her body squeaking as she rubbed against the seats of the engine truck.

"What kind of animal?" The voice of Buck broke the silence from next to her. The blonde let out a breathy laugh at the repeated question while looking up at the ceiling. A meltdown at the Las Angeles Zoo was the last thing first responders needed.

Hunter sighed before shooting him a grin, "zoo animals?"

Their captain sighed out too from his spot in the front of the engine truck, "We've been over this, Buck... We don't know. It could be anything. Caller got cut off during the attack.

"Okay..." Buck trailed off, "So, so ransomware busts open all the cages at the L.A. Zoo and-and they call us? No one thinks to call, I don't know, Animal Control?"

"We asked about Animal Control. They've been busy since the breakout," Hunter reminded the Buckley man, eyes gazing over at his exasperated face that held a hint of fear at the proposition of having to pass wild animals.  Her tone was very matter of fact, as if she was speaking to a toddler.

"Yeah. They, uh, tranq'd a lion at Griffith Park," Eddie chimed in.

Chin eyed the Diaz man, "That's right, Mustafa was at the Greek Theatre. And they got Sarabi and the cubs heading down Los Feliz towards Cahuenga. I guess all mammals know to use the Franklin Pass."

"No, I don't think you guys are hearing me. Okay, this is not me and Eddie bagging a turkey in South Pasadena," Buck groaned out, using his hands to gesticulate his point as he thought back to the infamous turkey incident that only reenforced the Callahan's hatred for birds, "What-what gear do we even bring? You know, they-they have serious predators at the L.A. Zoo. A snow leopard. A Sumatran tiger."

Eddie had a smile on his face as he leaned forward to look across Hunter and face Buck with a pointed finger, "He takes Christopher there all the time, got the place memorized," he explained to the rest of the 118.