forty eight

LET YOU DOWNchapter forty eight

LET YOU DOWN
chapter forty eight.

QUICKLY TYING THE LACES OF her boots, Hunter stood to her full height and wiped the imaginary dust from her uniform pants

QUICKLY TYING THE LACES OF her boots, Hunter stood to her full height and wiped the imaginary dust from her uniform pants. She felt slightly refreshed, more so than normal, the bags underneath her eyes seemed less prominent than the days before. However, she must have slept wrong, rolling her shoulder joint out with a groan.

Through the glass walls of the locker room, Hunter froze as she saw Buck across the firehouse, moving down the metal steps and stopping on the ground floor. He too paused, watching as Hunter slowly raised a finger and pointed in the direction towards outside of the station.

With an eerily calm nod, Buck headed in the same direction she had. Hunter had a few moments of quietness before soft footsteps padded near by, getting closer each step.

She wouldn't say the first word, not as that would serve as an admission of guilt in her own mind. Buck refrained from scoffed as he reached into his pocket, pulling out her phone she had left on the nightstand next to her reserved side of the bed.

"Here," was the only word he offered as she held his hand out for her to grab to object.

Sighing out, Hunter too had to stop herself from rolling her own eyes at his behavior. But how could she believe he was being dramatic in this instance? It would have been easier for Buck to pretend nothing had happened, that was Hunter's hope. But clearly that possibility was already out of the question.

"I went for a run."

Buck disbelievingly chuckled, "for three hours?" He asked pointedly, crossing his arms.

Hunter shrugged it off, "I wound up next to my place and just decided to crash there," it wasn't a lie. A complete one, at least.

"Uh huh," he hummed out, not looking her in the eye.

"What do you want me to say?" Hunter groaned, throwing her hands up in the air as she turned her back to him, beginning to pace.

"Um, I don't know, Calla. Maybe an, uh, apology would be nice— but why start now?" He rhetorically asked, his voice hoarse and tired as he didn't want to fight.