CHAPTER NINETEEN - The Heart's Union

“I am not a kid, come-on.” Abdullah complained pulling away from Umamah who had been warning him on dangers of bad company and ruffling his hair.

They were at the airport, awaiting the boys' flight turn.

“I dare you to repeat that one more time.” She said advancing on him with threatening steps.

Abdullah moved to stand beside Faisal.

“Look. I am almost the same height as Uncle Faisal. In a few years, I will be a college graduate too, besides you are not so older than I am... Acting all..."

“Yeah. Focus on graduating High School first.” Farid jested.

“Okay, I think that’s your flight.” Faisal said as they their flight number resonated in the enormous waiting room.

Farid turned to them one more time and then pulled Umamah into his arms, unexpectedly.

She froze, and started to pull away. She didn’t usually do this with him.

“I know we are not exactly the "lovey-dovey- est" of siblings, and you are not used to this, but stay put, Umamah.” He warned.

"I will miss you, big Sis." He confessed.

She did stay as put as he commanded, holding back her tears.

“Please, take care of Abdullah.” She said against his chest.

“I will, In Shaa Allah.” Farid said, letting her pull away and dabbing her tears.

Then he turned to Faisal, “Remember your promise, brother-in-law, and remember mine.”

It was certainly a threat that Faisal recognized. He smiled.

“You have nothing to worry about, In Shaa Allah” He be reassured him.

Umamah eyed them quizzically, but everyone looked away.

“Do not forget your traveling adkaar.” She shouted to the boy's retreating backs.

“In Shaa Allah.” They replied in unison.

“And call when you arrive.”

“In Shaa Allah.”

And the boys disappeared out of sight.

She knew she was acting like a mother hen, cooing over her chicks, but she couldn’t help it. She really worried about them.

She had never been separated from her brothers before. Never!

“They will be fine, In Shaa Allah. Trust Farid.” Faisal said beside her.

She dabbed the tears away from her eyes and turned to him. For a moment, she forgot who he was and what they had pending and just went into his arms, sniffing back the rest of the tears.

Faisal was only too glad to see this reliant side of Umamah. He pulled her into his embrace, forgetting where they were.

That was the electrifier Umamah needed to jolt her back to reality.

She pulled away from him and took a step backwards.

Then she turned around and started walking out of the airport to where their car waited.

He opened the car door for her and she stepped in.

She was still battling with the seat belt when he got into the driver’s seat.

“Home or here. You decide.” He asked with both hands on the steering wheel.

She halted in her actions. He was giving her the choice of where to have their well anticipated talk?