CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - A Full Day's Break

Umamah stretched and opened her eyes to find Faisal watching her intently.

“Assalaam’alaykum, sunshine.” He greeted.

She mumbled her reply as she began to raise the sheets to her chin, completely embarrassed.

“Funny. Seeing you wake up like this, I feel like bringing you breakfast in bed.”

She hissed, coming up for air. “So typical. I didn’t think even Faisal Abdurrahaman Aadam would engage in cliches”

He ached a brow. “Didn’t you?”

“No. But then, it’s my fortune, isn’t it?”

She was being smart mouthed as though she hadn’t been trying to disappear under the blanket a while ago.

“How so?” Faisal indulged her.

She shrugged, clutching the cover to her chin, and asked.

“What time is it?”

“Just a little past 9.”

She jumped from the bed, wincing at the ache in her body. But she didn't stop. “9? Faisal, how could you let me sleep so late? No no no. Mrs. ILHAM IS GOING TO FIRE ME!”

That got Faisal’s brow ache in a question “Mrs. Ilham? Head of consignment?”

She pulled the towel around her and started for the restroom.

“And oil drilling. I was supposed t submit a report which-thanks to your putting me in a sour mood yesterday, I couldn’t conclude.”

“I did make up for that, didn’t I?” he called after her, chuckling, and sending the reminder on what happened last night.

“Narcissist!” she hissed as she made her adkaar and rushed into the restroom.

He was fascinated. Umamah could be both timid and confident.

It was her ability to make a quick switch between the two features that wowed him even more. Other women would probably not be able to look their husbands in the eye after their first night, but not his Umamah. She was even battling words with him.

He felt a little jealous of Mrs. Ilham. How on earth was she getting his wife’s attention on their very first night as a true couple? Today, he intended to work from home and even had his secretary bringing his work home. He thought that was what she would want too, but how wrong he was.

Oh well, if she thought he was going to let her leave him today or tomorrow or a day after for work, she had another think coming.

He Felt like holding her to him and never letting her out of his site. In all his 39 years of existence, he had never felt like this. Like a child, in whose presence candies were being dangled and he was so giddy with excitement.

He picked his phone and placed that one call that will be the game changer.

Umamah ended the call and turned to him. “It was you, wasn’t it?”

***

He sipped from his glass and focused on the paper in his hands, not denying it.

“Can you sit, now?”

“Faisal!” She exclaimed. “You are interfering with my work.”

“And that is such a bad thing?” he asked, flipping the next paper.

“This wasn’t our agreement.”

“We had no agreement in this regards. Now, Umamah Sulaym, pick a glass from the cellar and join me.”