Chapter 3: Pointing Towards the Unknown

"Don't mind them, kid, they do this all the time," Warah said, as the two of them got into a screaming match.

"But yeah, don't mention it, kid," he continued. "It was our pleasure."

"We're not dropping you off anywhere, you're still a kid," he continued.

"See Ishi, that's how you treat a guest," Caius said childishly, gesturing to Warah.

"Like he said, don't mention it, now come to get some soup you must be hungry," Caius said, motioning Joseph towards the open seat around the big pot.

"I'm not hungry."

"Well now you're just lying," Caius replied.

"Will you at least tell me your name, so I can stop calling you kid?" he asked as Joseph sat down.

"Joseph."

"Well Joseph, welcome aboard the 'Flaming Lady', officially," Caius said as he picked up the spare ladle and a bowl.

"I don't want anything to eat," he persisted.

"And this little guy will eat soup too, right?" He asked ignoring Joseph's stubbornness.

"Um."

"Yes," he said, looking over at Kuzo as he held his stomach.

"What even is that creature?" Sensi asked as he kept staring at it.

"Sensi that's rude," Caius said, narrowing his eyes in disapproval.

"Sorry kid...I mean Joseph, didn't mean to be rude, just wanna get a sense about what you're all about," Sensi replied. "Can't blame us, right?" He said, taking a sip from the sake in his hand.

"What we're all wondering is how'd you get all the way out here by yourself, Joseph?" Caius asked as he ladled out some soup into a bowl.

"Long story."

"Can you only say two words at a time?" Ishi asked disdainly.

"Ishi who hurt you?" Sensi asked, butting in.

"Well, we like long stories, nothing better to do than tell stories on the long trip back home," Warah butted in, taking another sip from his bottle.

"Why are you doing all of this?" Joseph asked blatantly.

"Whoa whoa whoa," Caius said suddenly. "We got some questions for you first."

"Well so do I," Joseph said, as Caius handed him the bowls of soup.

"I'll answer yours if you answer mine," Ishi said, looking him up and down.

"Fine," Caius said as he sat down.

"Sounds good," Warah said, taking another sip from his bottle.

"Okay," Joseph asked as he set the bowl for Kuzo on the floor.

"Can I trust you?" Joseph asked.

"Do you think we have an ulterior motive?" Caius asked sternly.

"Answering a question with a question," Joseph said. "Fair enough, but I need a real answer."

"Yes, you can."

"Hmm," he replied.

"Why are you doing all of this?"

"Is it so hard to believe that we'd wanna help a shipwrecked kid in the middle of the ocean?" Caius replied.

"Meeting nice people is a rare occurrence for me."

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but now you have met nice people," Caius answered.

"Who are all of you? Where are you going?" He asked.