Chapter 28: No, Never

"Your majesty, please don't be rash," Hassan pleaded, as they all returned to the palace.

"I have no doubt that is my son, Hassan," Dante said, still rubbing his fingers along the ribbon.

"Yohan, please," Hassan said, trying to secure some backup.

"I'm not entirely sure about the matter," Yohan replied. "I never saw the child, you and his majesty were the only ones to see him I'm afraid."

"He may resemble the child, even though I saw him for a moment but who are we to believe that this is the same child given his past actions," Hassan said, overly annunciating all of his words.

"I feel inclined to agree with Sir Hassan, but I feel his majesty knows his own child," Fortis said, butting in.

"I still can't believe it," Chisai said.

"Me either," Kameron said, still wiping the remnants of tears from her face.

"This entire day has been a whirlwind of emotion," Yohan said.

"We didn't even get to conduct our meeting," Hassan said, holding his head.

"You're right," Dante said. "But, look at what's happened...a miracle."

"How will we break this to the citizens?" Hassan asked.

"You make it sound like a tragedy," Yohan said, looking over at him.

"Forgive me, but news like this will only strike fear in the hearts of the citizens..." he said.

"We promised to keep this under wraps sixteen years ago, but if it comes out now the people will know that we did not have a handle on things then, and with the rising crises afoot, we still don't."

"Losing a child is a terrible thing, I lost track of Chisai for a few hours today and I was worried sick, I can't imagine what you went through, Your Majesty," Fortis said, trying to change the subject.

"I understand the burden I have placed on all of you, and the problems that have arisen because of it, but right now I am focused on my family," Dante said.

"What are you guys talking about?" Keviar asked as he walked into the room.

"Keviar," Dante said, looking behind him. "Did Joseph not come with you?"

"No, I told him when he's ready to talk that we'd be here," he replied, moving over to the empty chair.

"Oh, I see," Dante replied.

"Did he say anything?" Kameron asked.

"Um...no not much," he said, awkwardly smiling.

"He's just a little shocked, like all of us," he continued.

"I agree," Fortis said.

"So when he comes what do we do?" Chisai asked.

"Welcome him, I guess..." Kev said.

"Hmm," Rafael said, his arms folded in the corner.

"What's your problem?" Kev asked.

"Nothing," he answered.

"You must be shocked yourself, Kev," Yohan said.

"Why did you never tell me anything?" Kev asked looking at his father.

"Why didn't any of you say anything?!" He yelped.

"Fear," Dante said softly.

"I was terrified of these people, whoever they were, that could break into the palace and steal my son, if they could do this without raising the alarms then they are truly capable of anything, I was terrified if I slipped, said anything out of line they would kill him, and you could be next."