Chapter 23: Apprehend At All Costs

His back struck the hot sand as she plopped down next to him. The low-hanging trees along the sand created the perfect shade to bask on the beach.

"You can't stay mad at him all day, you know," she said, her long black hair streaming down her back onto the sand.

"Well he should've thought of that before he tried to force me to go to that dumb party," Joseph said, looking up at her.

"He just wants us to go out and have fun as a family," she said, throwing a small pebble at his head.

"Oi!," Joseph yelped.

"Come on," she said.

"I don't wanna go, you know they're just gonna kick us all out if I go," he said as he sat up, dusting the sand off his back. His long silky beach curls fell into place over his face, partially covering his eyes.

"You don't know that," she said.

"Yes, I do...we both know Nakoa and his posse hate me as much as the rest of the village," Joseph said, folding his hands.

Suddenly the pitter-patter of little feet appeared behind them as they scurried across the dried seaweed and leaves left on the sand.

"Kuzo," Joseph said, turning around as he heard him coming. He was dragging a huge stick behind him as it drew a line through the sand wherever he walked.

"What you got there buddy?" Joseph asked as he grabbed the stick from his mouth.

"Good job," Joseph said, rubbing his head, as Kuzo smiled rolling over in pure euphoria.

"Good job, Kuzo," she said, smiling at his antics.

"Aye, don't avoid the subject," she said, smacking his shoulder. "You're going."

"No...I don't think so," he said sarcastically, rubbing his chin briefly.

"Ugh, you're so stubborn," she said frustrated.

"Mhm, learned it from you," he said, chuckling.

"Whatever," she said standing up. "Alaka'i said that he already got the tickets and you're going so that's that."

"Well, he can return them because I told you guys I didn't wanna go in the first place," he said snarkily.

"Ugh," she grunted.

"Made me come all this way," she said, fretting as she stomped away.

"How did you even find me?" He asked.

"Like it was hard?" She asked, turning around. "You're always here, staring at the sky or looking at clouds or something," she said waving her hands in the air, as small petals from the flower tucked behind her ear fell blowing away in the breeze.

"Oh," he said dryly.

"You're gonna have to come sooner or later," she said as she continued her trek off the beach, sand flying up into the air as her naked heels dug into the ground.

"You're gonna have to come sooner or later," Joseph said, mocking her as she walked away.

"I heard that dumbass!" She yelped, still walking away.

"Ugh," he groaned, falling back onto the sand.

"Why do they keep trying to make people like me, I know they don't," he said, as his eyes wandered back up onto the horizon.

"I'm good on my own," he said softly. "And you of course," he said, smiling as he looked over at Kuzo still rolling around in the sand.

"You know what?" He said, suddenly sitting up. "I'm gonna go tell Alaka'i right now," he continued, dusting off himself as he walked down the beach after her.