Chapter 2: Thank You

"Ishi, you wanna go fix our new friend a bed in the cabin?" He asked, looking at Ishi who was staring at the boy confused and astounded.

"Caius, can I see you over here for a sec?" Ishi asked, pulling the captain to the side.

"I'm not so sure we should just let this kid on board Cap," he whispered. "We don't know anything about him or where he came from."

"Ishi you're overreacting..." Caius started to say.

"Maybe I am, but you don't think everything through," Ishi replied, looking over his shoulder at the boy who still didn't move. "There's something off about him, just look at his eyes, they're not even the same color."

"Of course, there's something off about him, he almost died just now, and he's clearly been through a lot, do his eyes even matter?" Caius asked.

"His back though, did you see the scars, looks like somebody whipped the shit outta him?"

"That doesn't matter either," Caius continued.

"It's happening again," the boy whispered to himself as he pulled on the towel.

"I'm just trying to be cautious," Ishi replied.

"Just let me handle this please," he responded, whispering in the corner.

"Alright Ishi thanks, you go on ahead and set up the hammock!" he yelped, suddenly turning around trying to play off the conversation and moving back to the boy.

"Alright so while he does that I can tell you a little more about the crew," he said enthusiastically.

"I'm Caius, the guy I was just talking to is Ishi and the other two bringing the towels are Warah and Sensi," Caius said. "Who seems to be taking a long time..." he said to him as Ishi shook his head walking down the squeaky wooden steps to the cabin.

"Okay Cap here are the towels and fresh clothes, he only had a large cloak for the kid," Warah said, handing the clothes over to them.

"No worries, I'm gonna go check that we're still on course. Can you take him down to the cabins?" Caius said slowly, as he stared at the boy's neverending blank expression.

"You alright Cap?" Sensi asked, trying to snap him back to reality. "Yeah yeah, I'm good umm just get him settled," he replied, falling back into reality.

"Take this lamp before you strain your eyes, Cap," Sensi said, handing him the lamp they brought with them. "The crystal is kinda running out so you're gonna need to light it."

"Don't worry I got it," Caius said, taking a deep breath as he raised his hand to the dimming lamp, just then his fingers began to glow bright orange, and with a quick snap, the lamp flame came alive lighting his path as he walked away.

The boy looked over at him astounded and confused trying to wrap his head around what he just saw.

Th-that guy, what the...he made fire with his hands? Am I seeing things? No, the other two didn't say anything, it must be normal. He's a fire starter like me. Is he like me? Am I like him?

As the crewmen walked him down to the cabins his head bursting with questions. Why was he the only one? Why...why...why, but he kept silent, losing his mind in silence.

"Alright, kid, there's the hammock, and if you need anything let us know," Warah said as they both stepped out into the hallway.

"We'll let you settle, if you wanna eat dinner just take the stairs back to the deck", Sensi said.

They closed the sliding door behind them and walked back up to the deck, leaving him with the towels and clothes in his hands.

"I don't know what your deal is, kid," Ishi said, stepping out of the shadows in the back of the cabin startling the boy as he turned around to see him braced against the wall.