Chapter 35: We'll Work on It

"Alright, just breathe and don't be intimidated," Chisai said as they approached the door.

"Easier said than done," Joseph said, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

"Okay, let's go," he said, pushing the door open.

The layout of the gym was simple yet ornate, the ceiling towered high over the door, as low bearing beams and wooden targets painted in red hung from the ceiling. Barrels of water lined the padded walls offering some compass of safety. A stash of weapons hung on the other end of the wall. Fortis stood firm in the center of the room with his eyes closed, his incredibly massive, bulging arms exposed. His deep breaths echoed through the room, as he heard the door open, not even flinching.

"What took so long?" Fortis asked, his eyes still closed, as the scar along his face glistened in the room's light.

"Sorry, Dad," Chisai said. "We were..." he started to say.

"That doesn't matter," Fortis said, finally turning around.

"Don't be late again," he said, raising his eyebrow.

"Sorry, sir," Joseph, said nervously.

"No need for apologies, just don't let it happen again," he said.

"Now, before we begin I need to say something."

"I understand you might feel hesitant about me being your teacher, but rest assured I will train you to the best of my ability and help you attain your goals," he said, sternly.

"Thank you, sir," Joseph said.

"Now, tell me what you can do," Fortis said.

"I'll just stand over here," Chisai said, moving to the corner.

"What do you mean?" Joseph asked.

"Your current ability, what are you able to do?" He asked again.

"Oh, I'm somewhere in between lighting a lamp and flames exploding out of my body," Joseph answered.

"Hmm..." Fortis said.

"And what are your goals?"

"I just want to control it," Joseph said, bawling his fists. "I need to."

"I see," Fortis said.

"Based on what I saw yesterday...you do need to learn control," he said. "Your flames are powerful, given your level, but you need better control of it."

"Yes, exactly," Joseph said.

"You need to control your emotions as well," he said, crossing his legs as he sat down.

"How?" Joseph asked, joining him on the floor.

"Flame Users, young and old, have to learn to control their emotions," he said.

"How?" Joseph asked.

"You focus on what those emotions are doing to your body," he replied.

"But I don't..." he started to say.

"Don't worry, we'll work on it," Fortis said, endearingly.

"Breathing increases your blood flow, when we get angry or emotional this blood flow increases. We have the innate ability to control our blood flow and calm it, it is part of our biological makeup as Flame Users."

"Breathing is essential, but so is controlling this blood flow, and the emotion that causes its increase, learn to control those three and you will control your flames."

"But what about the other one?" Joseph asked. "Strength...the other principle."

"From what I have seen, your flames are plenty strong, stronger than mine were at that age, but we will focus on control for now," he continued.