Pilot

Following season 1 episode 1 of Good Girls

Saige--

October 2018

12:00 PM

"Got any plans for lunch today?" I ask my best friend, Grace. We met when she moved here to Detroit, Michigan in the eighth grade. I was walking to my locker when all of a sudden she yanked my arm and almost pulled me to the ground. After apologizing, she asked where the art classroom was and it was history after that. Seven years later, we co-own a flower shop together, Botanic Bay. 

"I'm running home for lunch now. I just realized that I'm pretty sure I left my fridge door open when I was making my ice coffee this morning," Grace groans. I chuckle.

"You?"

"Oh, I'm meeting my aunts at Tony's," I answer. 

"Fun. Wish I could join but I need to make sure the food in my fridge hasn't all spoiled already." Grace flips the sign to CLOSE and locks the door once we step outside.

"See you back here in an hour!" I smile as we both get in our cars. 

The drive to Tony's from the flower shop is only fifteen minutes, but with lunch hour traffic, it takes me an extra ten. I pull into an empty space and find Beth's van and Annie's car in the parking lot as I walk inside.

"Now I'm uneven," Beth murmurs as I sit down next to her.

"I don't even wanna know." Ruby shakes her head as she knees down in the booth behind us.

"How's work been?" Beth asks. She slides over a glass of Dr. Pepper, my favorite pop.

"Thanks," I take a long sip. "And good. Pretty quiet this morning." I answer her question.

"What were you two talking about?" I ask. Annie quickly opens her mouth to answer, and I see Beth quickly shake her head side-to-side.

"She's twenty-one, Beth. Dean maxed out their credit card at some lingerie store," Annie informs. I raise an eyebrow at my aunt. 

"Maybe it's a Christmas gift," Ruby suggests.

"In October?" Annie asks.

"Anniversary?" Ruby tries again.

"He already gave me one hundred coupons to Bed, Bath, & Beyond," Beth says. It is her favorite store.

"Son of a bitch. Ruby, that old guy is trying to steal your tip!" Annie points behind Beth, Ruby, and I. The three of us turn around to see an elderly gentleman with a can hovering around an empty table.

"He can't even walk." Ruby scoffs.

"Go get it!" Annie persists. Ruby scoffs again before getting out of the booth and walking over to the elder guy. Right as she reaches the table, he shoots his arm out to grab the tip, but Ruby's obviously faster and snatches it up. She walks back over to us with a shocked look on her face.

"At my last job, we got robbed so I have a sixth sense now." Annie wears a proud look on her face.

"Really?" Beth exclaims. The overprotective sister in her is starting to seep out.

"What? Every job that I'm at is eventually hit," Annie says, grabbing her coffee mug and taking slow sips.

"You could get shot!" Beth exclaims, her voice a bit louder now.

"Ugh! One could hope!" I roll my eyes. 

"Here ya go, my dear." Ruby sets down a plate with my regular on it: a crispy chicken sandwich with lettuce and mayo on it and French fries with a side of ranch. I didn't even realize Ruby had left.