Au Jus

Following season 3 episode 5 of Good Girls. 

Monday Night;

Beth;

"He's going to kill me!" I hiss. Dean freezes, thankfully not going through with cutting the money plate.

"Saige wouldn't let that happen," Dean scoffs. Would she? She seemed shocked when I told her during our fight a couple of weeks ago. If she did convince him not to, then why is he still screwing with me? 

"Beth, do you seriously think Saige would stay with a man who's practically hunting you down?" Dean gives me an, "are you serious?" look. I sigh, reaching my hand out for the money plate.

"As much as I despise that man, he wouldn't do anything to hurt Saige." SNAP!

&&&

Next Day;

Beth;

"You're not going to believe it; it's another casino night!" Annie chuckles. 

"Uh, I'm not going to be able to," Lucy says, concentrating on organizing a drawer of markers. 

"We'll pay you more," Ruby offers. Lucy closes the drawer and quickly opens another one, grabbing a small jar of bird feed. My eyes stray to her and Max's pet birds.

"I can cover you at work if that's what you're worried about," I say. Lucy only has two shifts this week.

"It's not that. The night that you're asking me to do it, I already have plans with my friends, Grace and Saige." I turn to look at the others, the same thought going through all of our heads. 

"Saige Marks and Grace Johnson?" I ask. Confusion spreads across Lucy's face, her eyebrows knitting together. She slowly nods her head back and forth.

"You know them?" she wonders. 

"Saige is my niece, and Grace is her best friend. Well, she's practically another niece to me," I say. 

"Huh. Well, we've had this night planned for awhile, and I really don't want to cancel on them," says Lucy. 

"They're both pretty understanding people," says Annie. 

"They're great, I know. The other reason is," Lucy leans down and grabs something out of the small garbage can next to the desk. My eyes widen at the counterfeit shredded money in her hand.

"Gambling addicts, right?" Lucy lets out a dry chuckle.

"Let me put it for you this way, Lucy. That shredded printed money in your hand is going to be us if you can't help us," Ruby states.

"I'm so sorry I got you into this," I apologize. 

"Why did you?" Lucy wonders, a hardness to her tone I've never heard before. I look to Annie and Ruby, hoping to find an answer that won't make me look like a bitch. I sigh, nothing coming to mind. Guilt quickly washes over me as Lucy's sadness starts to turn to anger.

"You guys should go."

Friday;

Saige;

"Hey, Luce," I smile. I immediately see the tension falling off of her in waves; Lucy has never been able to hide how she's feeling the five years I've known her.

"Are you coming to bail on Grace and I?" I joke. The three of us have plans to paint pottery tonight after work.

"I know what your aunt Beth is up to," Lucy spills. I furrow my eyebrows at her in confusion for just a split second before I realize what she's saying. Wait...what is my aunt Beth up to?