Special Source

Following season 1 episode 7 of Good Girls.

Saige--

"You call it book club?" I chuckle. 

"You don't see us in a book club?" Ruby jokes. 

"I see you and Beth in a book club, not that one over there." I nod my head towards Annie, who's finishing the last of red wine Beth served at "book club." 

"You can't tell Rio that you know about our little sting going on," Beth says. I glance over at her. She has a slightly nervous look on her face. 

"I'm not going to tell Rio a thing. I'm pretty sure he doesn't suspect you to have a little sting even going on," I say. Beth sighs in relief.

A quick succession of knocks has the four of glancing over towards the front door. It opens and Grace appears, holding a bottle of white wine. 

"Hey, Grace," Beth smiles. She had invited Grace and I over for a little girls' night. We hadn't had one in awhile. I arrived just as "book club" was ending. 

"I brought some win." Grace hands the bottle to Beth. 

"Thank you! That one over there didn't bring anything." Beth directs the statement at me. I glare at her.

"You know that you've missed me being here ever since I've moved out," I state. 

We all wonder into the kitchen and stand around the island. Annie goes over to the fridge and grabs a bottle of vodka out of it. Opening one of the cabinets, she grabs five shot glasses.

"Now, you know every time we start a girls' night with shots, it never ends well," Ruby states. I giggle. The first girls' night we did was nine months ago in March when I turned twenty-one. Grace had turned twenty-one back in January of this year. The five of us got dolled up in dresses and bar hopped around the neighborhood. Beth and I got wasted and ended up running away from the bar. We were found only two blocks away fallen into some bushes. 

"One shot will be fine," I say. 

"That's what we always say," Ruby reminds. The five of us cheer and take the shot of vodka. I grimace as the cold liquid burns down my throat. 

"What do you guys want to drink?" Beth asks. I help her pour two glasses of white wine for herself and Grace; two glasses of red wine for Annie and Ruby; and pour myself a mixed drink of vodka and cranberry juice. 

"I have to show you guys what I bought yesterday!" Beth sets her glass of wine on the kitchen and jogs over to the stairs. 

"Bet Dean didn't get her a Christmas present so she had to get one for herself," Annie mutters. None of us respond, not wanting to get Annie riled up this early in the night. I do wonder, though, if and what Dean got Beth for Christmas last week. 

The front door slams open. I lean back in my stool to see who it could possibly be. Beth got the kids and Dean tickets to Disneyland, and they won't be back until next week. Sadie is at her dad and Nancy's house, and Sara and Harry are at home with Stan. My eyes widen as I watch Rio, Mick, and Dags--I finally found out his actual name--appear in the doorway.

"Who is it?" Annie wonders. I glance over to her, Ruby, and Grace, not knowing what to say. I know that Rio's here on business and he does not look happy. Annie and Ruby's facial expressions match mine when Rio appears, stopping beside me. 

"You two," he points to Annie and Ruby, "living room." The two jump off the island stools and scurry into the living room, sitting down next to each on the couch. 

"You two, go upstairs. Don't come down until I come up." Grace looks confused at Rio's demand. She doesn't know about his actual job. I haven't even made up a lie about what he does, Grace has never asked.