Summer of the Shark

Following season 1 episode 9 of Good Girls.

Annie--

"How long are you going to stay here?" Dean asks me, holding a beer bottle in his hand.

"How long are you going to stay here?" I counter.

"I mean...this is my house," Dean states.

"I mean...kinda," I counter back again.

"Why can't you go back to Saige's apartment? You only stayed there one night last week!" Dean exclaims. 

"Because I am not ruining another intimate night between her and Rio," I say. Dean's eyebrows furrow together in confusion. Oh, no...of course he doesn't know about Saige dating Rio! She would have never told him!

"You're telling me that my niece is dating that gang leader?" Before I can try to diffuse the situation and make Saige not mad at me again, Beth enters the room, having come from upstairs.

"Uh oh. What happened?" she asks. Dean turns around to face her.

"Did you know that Saige is dating that gang leader?" he asks. Beth gives me a look.

"I did," Beth answers.

"Why are you allowing that to happen?!" Dean exclaims, throwing his arms up above his head. Beth sighs.

"One, she's twenty-one, almost twenty-two. She's a big girl that can make her own decisions. Two, he's different around her. There's no need to worry about him doing anything bad to her," Beth says.

"Except that he's sleeping with her," Dean mutters, taking a swig of his beer. Beth gives me another incredulous look. 

"I kind of...interrupted a moment between them last week when I stayed there," I murmur. 

"Moving on. We have to get going." Beth directs the ending to me. I hop off the island, give Dean a glare, and follow my big sister out of her house.

Saige--

The bell above the door dings. I look up and over from the bouquet I'm finishing up to see Beth, Ruby, and Annie. I quickly finish tying the thine around the stems over the flowers and set them in a pot with water in the bottom.

"What's up?" I ask, leaning against the front count. Ruby and Annie turn to Beth. I glance at my legal guardian, waiting for her to say something. 

"Where's Grace?" Beth asks. I know that's not what she actually wants to ask me.

"At home. She has a fever," I answer. I look between the three of them as they stand there awkwardly. 

"What's going on?" I ask. They all look at each other, silently and secretly communicating with one another.

"Has...Rio said anything about any of his men?" Annie asks. 

"No. All I know is that business is going back up and you three accepted a little job to do for him," I say. Rio told me a couple nights ago that he met with my aunts and that they had accepted a job to do. It wasn't washing money, Rio explained that it was more like a favor. 

"Why are you wondering about Rio's guys?" I ask. 

"It's nothing. Just forget about it," Beth dismisses. 

"You guys came here to vaguely ask if I knew anything about Rio's men?" I state.

"It's nothing, Saige. Forget about it," Beth demands. She's now worried that Rio's going to find out.

"I'm not going to rat you three out to Rio," I say. 

"No one said anything to him about the time you and Grace came shopping with us and he still found out," Annie points out. I tilt my head to the side.