Thirty-Three

(Got another Trigger Warning here.)

The RK900's sudden appearance had swiftly changed the mood for everyone. You seemed relieved, surprised, and a little bit teary-eyed. Reed was trying his damnedest not to lose his head, watching you with your old partner and how comfortable you looked with him. And the android, who'd somehow been branded Cloud, didn't seem all that apologetic for interrupting the date.

At least, that was what it seemed, until he finally released you, smiling a bit. "Forgive me. As I said, I apologize for cutting into your date. I'd insist you continue, but... I do not know anyone else in Detroit."

Your lower lip pulled in, gently bitten, as you glanced at your date. "Gavin? Silly question, but you think our Roomba would explode if I took Cloud home with me?"

His initial reaction would have been a nasty retort, probably something insulting. But you gazed at him patiently, the fury he'd built up trickling away with the warmth in your eyes. "Um... honestly? I don't know. There's gonna be a lot of explaining to do, that's for sure."

Next to you, Cloud shrugged. "Housing another android, then? I don't want to impose."

"You said it yourself, you don't know anyone else," you replied, insistent. "He'll just have to deal with it for now."

Given no other options, Reed stuffed his hands into his pockets as he walked beside you, the much taller android on your other side. But his eyebrows knit tightly. "So... back the fuck up. RK900?"

"Yes, a detective prototype, specifically. I am the upgrade to the prior RK800. However, I was never meant to be booted up. So therefore when I was... I left. I went from the CyberLife headquarters here in Detroit to Buffalo, where I stayed until recently." With a crooked smile the android went on. "Needless to say, I may get some peculiar looks."

Gavin's eyes narrowed a bit. "I thought prototypes have specific names. So why Cloud, of all fuckin' things?"

"Because I am very well aware that I was given the same name as my predecessor: Connor. I am also well aware that said predecessor may still be functional." Cloud paused. "I wanted a separate identity. I did not want to be a "new" version." He gestured to the model number on his long coat. "RK900. Nine. Cloud Nine. It begins with C, so it is similar, but... it suits me."

You glanced towards Reed knowingly, realizing that Connor wasn't going to appreciate meeting his successor. But there was nowhere else to bring your partner, at least not immediately.

■□■□■

Footsteps in the hallway made your Roomba look up from his laptop, but his expression shifted; there were three separate beings approaching. A quick reading showed an android with who he calculated to be you and Gavin.

Sure enough, the front door was unlocked, and you stepped into the warm apartment, flashing Connor a smile that seemed off. Reed followed, who also had an odd expression.

The taller android who entered last was a blow to his calm demeanor, and Connor ended up staring at the model number on his long, white jacket: RK900.

The door shut on its own behind the newer prototype, and both androids just... stared. Getting to his feet, your trainee meandered away from the couch to cautiously approach the stranger.

Hands wringing together, you broke the silence in a soft tone: "Ah... Connor, this is Cloud, my... partner in Buffalo. Cloud, this is... who I'm training for undercover work..."

So he wasn't seeing things. Before him stood his upgrade, and Connor admittedly felt inferior. This Cloud did not bear the innocent, almost naive appearance of the RK800. No, the new model had sharper features, intense eyes, and was much more imposing. But the expression held no malice, only curiosity. Cloud held out a hand, giving the crooked smile that you'd seen so often on two separate androids. "It is a pleasure to be introduced to the android I've been modeled after. Though I admit that remakes are never as good as the originals."