Fifteen

Oh my fucking God this isn't high school. This isn't a fanfic where everything goes a certain way. No, I'm here to fucking work, goddamnit!!

Eyes closed, you gripped your cell phone firmly, hands in your lap. Messages from two wildly different people, and honestly a part of you wanted to just ignore them both. But that was juvenile; as an adult, you had to handle the situation.

Whether or not you'd be throwing your fists remained to be seen.

You weren't sure which to handle first: Gavin's odd near-slip of the tongue, or Connor's bizarre query. Taking care of Reed's thing seemed easier to deal with... not to mention he would probably take you home, and you wanted to avoid an awkward drive. So you opted to diffuse the situation through text. [Are you okay? Did I creep you out with the twin thing? If I did, I'm sorry.]

At his desk, Reed almost didn't want to check his phone; it was definitely your response to his stupid fuck-up. But of course he was a dumbass and opened the message. [Why the hell are you apologizing? I'm the dumbass...]

[You're not a dumbass. I'm just... a little confused. Why did you think to call me that?]

Even in the edges of your vision you could see his head lower. [Don't worry about it. Seriously. Put it behind you, and I'll try to stop being an idiot.] Phone in one hand, Gavin leaned and propped his head up with his free hand on his forehead.

[Gavin. I don't want the car ride home to be awkward. I'm just making sure you're okay. You can talk to me.]

He read your text but didn't respond; instead, the detective got up from his chair and made a beeline down the hallway, not looking anywhere but down at the floor.

■□■□■

It took a few tries, but Hank finally succeeded in throwing a paper clip at the android that got his attention. "Connor, you look like you're being hypnotized. The fuck's going on?"

His expression had been wiped clean, eyes closed. Weighing his options and choosing his words. "... I'm in trouble," the detective finally admitted. Slowly he laid his head in his arms on his desk. "I know I intended to try and settle things with flirting. And I feel that things are on a good note. But...." Connor's head turned so it rested on one side; his partner could see the obvious upset. "I continue doing it. It's nearly out of my control. It's as though I've been programmed to flirt every opportunity I have."

Wondering why this shit had to happen to him as a whole, the lieutenant sat back in his chair. "I mean... is that bad? She seems pretty chill now. Unless she's still getting mad and I'm not around to see it."

"No, I sense little anger, if any." The android's voice was dead, and a slightly upset look etched deep into his features.

"... so why are you bothered by it?"

"Because I can't stop it, Hank. This is not who I am. I fear I may take it too far somehow." The RK800 closed his eyes again before the tears could escape. "I do not know why I keep doing it. Aside from it being worryingly uncontrollable... I receive little to no reciprocation."

Oh, boy. "So... if she flirted back, you'd feel better about it?"

"I don't know," Connor whispered. "This shouldn't have happened in the first place. Flirting is foreign to me; I know how to, but it is not my style. It's outside my comfort zone," he added.

[Everything seems to be outside my comfort zone lately.]

Watching the android get worked up over a simple problem, Hank laced his hands together. "... Connor. Have you even considered sitting her down to talk this out? Or have you been freaking out in the background and escaping to the bathroom every time so she doesn't see you panicking?"