Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I was awakened by the feeling of something warm pressing against my lips. Unti-unti kong iminulat ang aking mga mata. There, I found Verra's face an inch closer to mine. 

Nang makitang gising na ako ay agad na nanlaki ang mga mata nito at mabilis na lumayo sa akin.

"I-It wasn't me!" Mariin nitong tanggi kahit wala pa man akong sinasabi. She's even shaking her head like a guilty person.

Sumilay ang ngiti sa aking labi dahil sa reaksiyon niya. I can't help but let out a small laugh. Okay, I'll just pretend that I didn't catch her kissing me while I was asleep.

Napatigil ako sa pagtawa nang makita ko itong tila estatwang nakatitig lang sa akin. I notice the dreamy look in her eyes while she is staring at me.

"Cee, you're so beautiful." She said, like she was mesmerized by something.

Nag-init naman ang pisngi ko sa sinabi niya. I am flattered. She's the first person, aside from my mother, to call me beautiful. Although it is a common adjective and can be used to describe a man, people will still prefer to use the word handsome.

I rose from my bed and leaned closer to her to give her the thing she had been stealing since I was asleep. She was stunned by my unexpected action.

The kiss didn't last long. Bago pa man ito makatugon ay pinutol ko na agad ang halik. Tumayo ako at lumabas ng kwarto. I couldn't help but smile foolishly as I left her there, dumbfounded.

I never thought I would be this happy to wake up next to her.

Dumiretso ako sa isa pang bathroom sa kusina at doon inayos ang sarili ko. After that, I decided to cook pancakes for breakfast. Naalala ko kasi na hindi kumakain ng rice si Verra sa umaga.

I also brew coffee for us. Saktong tapos na akong maghain nang dumating si Verra na nakasimangot at masama ang tingin sa akin.

"Let's eat, hon." Yaya ko sa kanya. Buhat sa sinabi ko ay nawala ang pagkasimangot nito at nagliwanag ang mukha.

"What happened last night?" I tried opening a conversation while we were eating.

Nakita ko itong natigilan at iniwas ang tingin sa akin.

Nagpakawala siya ng malalim na paghinga bago magsalita.

"Yaran keeps on saying bad things about you. I'm putting it up at first, but she's being mean. I lost my patience and...and said mean things too. Then I just found myself pulling her hair."

Ako naman ang napabuntong hininga dahil sa narinig. I appreciate Verra for defending me, but I also feel bad for being one of the reasons why their friendship is now on edge.

"Hindi mo na dapat pinatulan. Look at you—you had a few scratches."

"I can't help it. She keeps insisting that you're gay. For all I know, she's still bitter about the fact that her ex-boyfriend left her for a man. I hate her." She ranted before sipping her coffee.

Now I know where Yaran is coming from. Hindi ko rin ito masisisi sa mga iniisip niya tungkol sa akin. She became cautious because of what had happened to her in the past.

"Masakit ba ang ulo mo?" I tried to divert the topic. Isa pa ay baka may hangover ito, especially since she drunk too much last night.

"Kinda, but it's bearable, hon." Sabi nito at binigyan ako ng matamis na ngiti.

Mayamaya ay tumayo ako para ligpitin ang pinagkainan namin.

"You can rest in the bed for a while. I'll just wash the dishes." I said to her. Mabuti na lang at Sunday ngayon. She can still rest and take time to ease her hangover.