ghost of you • nayeon

Nayeon has been by your side since grade school. Your friendship has gotten stronger everyday up until now and both of you have already reached high school. She has always been sweet towards everyone especially to you and that was the reason why you secretly fell for her.

You did not like it, it wasn't your choice but what else can you do? The more you try to abandon your feelings, the more deeper it gets. Today, she wanted to spend some time with you again after classes.

"Hey.." You spoke up.

"Mm?" Nayeon was busy on her phone while she was lying on her stomach.

"Well, i have something to ask you."

"You're scaring me." She stopped using her phone to look at you when she laughed after that.

"I actually don't know how to put this but let me finish this quickly."

"Kay? What is it?" She sat on your bed properly to listen to what you had to say.

You started to feel sick. The moment you felt she was all ears on you, your chest started beating fast. Of course, you shared your friendship with her for almost a decade. Then eventually you would confess your feelings for her, what could go wrong?

"Have you ever liked someone to the point it hurts you for some reason?"

"Why are you suddenly asking that.. wait, are you in love with someone?!" Nayeon blinked in excitement.

"Unfortunately." You smiled weakly.

"What do you mean unfortunately? Being in love literally feels like you're in heaven!" She laughed.

"I know but, not really all the time." You chuckled.

"That's how it works, sadly. But who is it? Oh my gosh, hurry and tell me!!"

"You wouldn't like to hear it, Nayeon."

"Yah, do you know that you're being so unfair right now? I've always talked with you about who i like!" She pouted with her frowning face.

"Clue?" She added.

"One of my closest friends."

"We're only few! You like Chaeyoung?!" She was shocked.

"Ugh, no! Why would i like someone who has a girlfriend?" You rolled your eyes when you thought about Mina, Chaeyoung's long-time girlfriend.

You could tell Nayeon was getting nervous now, she is really a great pretender but unlucky of her that you know her very well. She's acting like she is excited to hear it now that she's getting closer with every clue she asks you but in reality, you know she's having a big feeling about it.

"It has to be her, hold on. Is it Irene?"

You slowly shook your head and you knew Nayeon later accepted her own denial of expectation. She finally knows that it is her that you like. You have always thought that you had to confess to her. If you did not, you're going to continue on suffering from hiding it inside and it keeps on hurting you.

"..Me?"

"I'm sorry." You said as you looked down.

"For what?" Nayeon asked in confusion.

"For everything, i crossed the line. Our friendship could've been longer if i never had these feelings for you."

"What do you mean? We're not ending this friendship. It's fine, Y/N." She said.

Nayeon said that in a serious tone and that made you even more nervous. You didn't know what to say after that so you just remained silent. Later on, you continued spending the night together normally just like how you do. It was kind of awkward but  she eventually made you feel like nothing just happened. You didn't know how to feel about it, that she just wanted you to feel less anxious or she's thinking about what would happen next between the two of you?

But the night did not last there. When you walked her home, you stopped in front of her house and you thought you should know what she thinks about it.

"I just wanna let you know that i'm not hoping for you to like me back. No pressure, you can tell me what's on your mind if you're ready."

"Y/N.."

"Yeah?"

"You know, i'm not yet ready for things like this. I don't think i can have a relationship with you. I'm sorry.." She looked down.

"I know, Nayeon. Thank you.."

You did not want to tell what your 'thank you' really is for. But deep inside, it really is a 'thank you for everything' as you could strongly feel that this would be the last time you could be with her.

After two days, you attended your classes. It was usually fun but now that Nayeon is not close with you as usual anymore, it hurts you more. She's now being distant, just like what you already expected.

You've been trying to live as happy as you could while losing someone that is very special to you. Weeks have passed, and Nayeon has not talked to you ever since that night.

It really broke your heart when you heard she's been going out with someone. It only has been weeks that have passed after you confessed to her. Nayeon also said that she's not yet ready to be in a relationship but look at her now, she's dating your cousin.

She lied to you again when you suddenly remembered what she said that your friendship won't end.

Maybe she was ready to be in a relationship, but never with you.