Chapter 34- Unexpected

Kathryn's POV'

Ok, clearly I was dumbfounded because I just stared at the man in front me.

"Umm, Thank you sir". I said, kinda nervous.

He nodded his head. He looked at Daniel and Enrique which the both of them went stiff immediately, acting like they were tough as rock.

"Why don't you show these little cupcakes of yours in our home. Give them a little tour about our base but lieutenant Padilla, I need to talk to you". He commanded them.

Enrique and Dj both made a salute sign. "Sir yes sir!".

He nodded his head once more. "Carry on". Then all of the other soldiers turned their attention on whatever they're doing. The captian walked off while both of his hands on his back.

We were silent until Jazzy said something. "Well, that was intense".

"Tell me about it". I agreed with her.

I looked at Dj and we both locked our eyes together. He slowly cupped his hand on my face with so much compassion. I relaxed into his touch, still it manages my stomuch to be filled with butterflies.

"Keep in touch, Ok?". He told me while rubbing his thumb on my hand. It's nice seeing him being like this. I know acting protective to your mate is annoying but because of that, you would somehow detect the feeling that he still cares for you. We were staring into each others eyes. I felt nostalgic while looking straightly into his eyes. The feelings when we hold each other's arms, when we comfort each other, complimenting good things on what we see to each other. Yep, he's perfect.

We were so lost into each other's warmth when Jeeyan cleared her throat sternly. "Single people here!". She announced and we all laughed at her silliness.

"I think we should go Dj". I told him and gave him a genuine smile.

"Yeah, right". He nodded his head once he realized that Enrique was going to tour us around the base.

I went into Enrique and Jeeyan, Jazzy, Bella and I followed him wherever he was going.

Daniel's POV'

I went into the other entrance of the base and started looking our captain's office. It's been a long time since I got here. The paint's walls seemed to have cracks on them, indicating that it was old. I looked around the hall and saw the familiar steel door that back then I was too afraid to go in.

I sighed anxiously and hesitated whether I should knock on the door or not. My hands were shaking nonstop. I couldn't predict whatever might happen to me when I'm going to talk with the captain. I really don't know how will I make a good impression to him. Just be myself I guess? Ok. Here goes nothing.

I knocked on the door three times.

"Come in". The familliar voice just echoed through my ears. I inhale too much oxygen then felt the adrenalin pumping quickly trough my veins. I swiftly turned the door knob then opened the door.

"You wanted to see me sir?". I asked him cautiosly.

"Yes, Take a seat soldier". I didn't turn away so I did what he told me to do. After that he leaned in close to me so that I could here clearly what he was going to say then he continued "I'm just gonna cut to the chase alright? What you just found is the key to everything Daniel. With her in our hands. We can bring back what was lost. Thanks to you".

I smiled cheekly at the flattering comment he said."Thank you sir! Just doing my job".

He leaned back to his chair. "Well then, we'll call the surgeons then we're going to prep her for surgery". He added. My eyebrows met together, indicating that I was confused.

"Why? Aren't we just gonna take a little bit of blood in her or just take some of her DNA?". I asked him.

"No Daniel. You see, the vaccin had scattered all over her body and in her brain as well. And I don't think she will ever survive in that kind of surgery". He explained it to me vividly.

That's when my heart broke into a million of pieces. My eyes shot up in a shocking manner. My brain just caught the idea of the captain what he was trying to say.

My fingers were trembling. I shook my head vigorously. "N-n-no. There has to be another way! We can't just let her die like that!". I stood up from the chair and rage took over me.

I was expecting him to be more mad at me instead he gave me a calm expression. "What is she to you Lieutenant Padilla?".

I exhaled slowly. "She's my girlfriend sir. I love her ever since I saw her. The way she looks at me with so much compassion in her eyes. I feel like I was in heaven with her. When I look at her, my whole world suddenly stops because you know what? she is my world! because I revolve around her and she means a lot to me". My heart just literally took over my mouth. Every word what I said to him was real.

He nodded his head then sighed. "I was once in your place Daniel". He paused for a bit then took a picture right beside his' desk. "I was in love back then. I loved her so much with all my heart. I rebelled, I broke the rules, I didn't listened to anybody, we were so happy back then". He paused again then a tear rolled down his cheek.

While I was reading his emotions, I felt sympathy for the older guy. He seemed so real and the depression in his' voice was clearly audible. "But then destiny... change his decision then the girl whom I love broke my heart". He said with his voice filled with sorrowness. For the first time, I saw him this... soft. Usually, he looked like he wants to break your neck. Yes, he was that intense.

I nodded my head, signaling for him to go on.

"Then, I realized that I should take more seriously to the people in my surroundings than to only one person". He declared. I looked at him intently. Processing all of this into my mind is too difficult. The fact that Kathryn was going to die 'again' was making me feel sick.

"But...". I was about to say something when the captain had cut me off.

"Think about this Daniel... You're going to save all of the people or are you just gonna save only one person.. Think about that". The captain said.

This was too much. I couldn't just let Kathryn die like that.. she's my soulmate, my everything but I was trained and assigned to look for the cure. We've been looking for it for how many years and it can bring back the humanity that we've all desired. My mind whole brain was in a conflict right now.

"Ok sir". I walked outside the room then slid my back against the wall. I folded my legs then pressed it to my chest. How am I supposed to do this? Lately I've been doing some dangerous tasks but literally, this is the hardest of them all. I would even dare to cross perilous bridges, climb unsteady mountains, go on a harmful quest but not that one. I can't do this.

Will you risk it all for the sake of your beloved partner or risk her for the sake of all?

Hi :) I know, you want to push me off of a cliff right know. I accept that, really. I've been lazy and projects are coming in nonstop. The latter is real by the way! I'm not making that up. Just to remind you, I'm still fourteen you guys. I'm not that responsible enough. Hahaha! I've seen the comments and they really put on a smile to me. I wish that I could update really fast and hoping that it wouldn't take me days, ok, weeks, OK! months! jeeze (-,-). But I'm really really really sorry you guys! Again, thank u so much for all the love and support. I hope that you will be patient enough to wait for my updates. K byeee!

xx

Bella