Vol. 3 Chapter 11 - Please Put Your Imprint On Me

It’s the first time Valhail reached out his hand to me.

All this time, I had been wondering what he thought about me.

I’ve been touching him several times, stroking his head, even groping his body for treatment, but Valhail had never touched me before.

Was it because he’s not interested in me?

Or maybe did he only think of me as his benefactor who treated his body?

Or, if that wasn’t because of those, maybe he didn’t even think of me as his benefactor since it was an unwanted treatment?

And today, I finally got the reason.

With his sad eyes, which I’ve never seen before, he told me.

That he never dared to touch me.

“You’re not real for me.”

As he struggled to pull my hand away, he looked like smoke which was about to disappear any moment.

* * * * *

Valhail was the one who turned aside and walked away, but his stare remained fixed on me.

We stared at one other until we were both almost nothing from a distance.

Just like the day I left him in the quarantine room by himself.

It wasn’t because he was scared I’d be in danger on the road at night.

Since I’m accompanied by William.

“What makes you think Valhail wants to return to that dangerous battleground?”

Because he was from Toono, I was concerned that he would be bullied by the other outer guard.

‘If that’s the case, William’s intervention would be helpful.’

I inquired with that objective in mind, but the response I received was surprising.

“I believe he desires to get promoted.”

“Promoted?”

“Yes. The more battle experience a knight has, the faster he will be promoted.”

Is that the true reason?

‘If such was the case, why did he leave the Holy Knights?’

If the Holy Knights were the world’s most prestigious public officials, the White Eagle Knights were the world’s most prestigious corporation.

‘I heard that the White Eagle Knights are the best of the best.’

Valhail used to declare that if he could work for this family, he would do anything, even if it meant being a servant. So, why is Valhail now yearning for a promotion?

“He would be awarded and conferred his knighthood if he survived and won a major battle. Then he’d be eligible to join the White Eagle Knights officially.”

I couldn’t forget Valhail’s desperate eyes when he said I wasn’t his reality.

When he uttered those words, his eyes were filled with rage, despair, and even unfathomable longing.

“William, I need your help.”

“Yes, My Lady. Please say it.”

Although William will not be participating in the war, he will have access to the necessary military informations.

“Could you obtain me a document of the Kingdom of Castaques’ Royal Family Tree?”

William was perplexed but immediately nodded.