Vol. 5 Chapter 10 - Finding The Missing Tyrant

“What is it, Lady Selina?”

“I want to know more about the annulment of marriage, and you are the only person I can ask, priest-nim.”

“Huh? Did you say annulment of marriage?”

“Yes. Because the temple is in charge of all marriage-related matters.”

Marriage, divorce, remarriage, and everything else concerning marriage.

Even an Imperial Wedding couldn’t be completed without the presence of a priest, and because the couple swore an oath in the name of God, they also needed permission to divorce from the temple.

That law, however, had no bearing on the annulment of marriage case. It wasn’t like a divorce.

“That…… the spouse must be proven guilty in addition to the evidence.”

“And only adultery is valid, correct?”

Franz trembled at the mere mention of the word that came so easily out of my mouth.

“Y-yes.”

“If the other person already had a de facto marriage and the other party married them without knowing about it, the marriage is null and void. Is that correct?”

Franz’s eyes trembled violently as he looked at me.

“The de facto marriage standard is only applicable if they have children.”

“That’s true… That is true……”

Franz gave an awkward nod.

I haven’t even married, let alone had a fiancée, so I have no reason to inquire about the annulment of marriage.

Franz appeared to have already noticed.

“Can I prove that the Countess had another man before meeting and marrying my father?”

“Lady Selina!”

Franz jumped up from his seat in my bedroom, where only the two of us were present, surprised, afraid that someone else might hear.

Then he shook his head, as if to warn me not to do that.

“Even if you don’t do that, you could put the countess on trial and sentence her to death for planting illegal plants in the garden.”

“And it’ll be over in an instant if she denies it and claims it wasn’t her who planted it.”

Camilla could, for example, frame Joanna, Selina’s biological mother, who was planting it when she was alive.

“Still…… be calm and reconsider, Lady Selina.”

Franz had a reason for his oversensitivity.

“Even if the marriage is proven null, it will only bring disgrace to both families.”

That is why the law of marriage annulment eventually became obsolete.

It was a tragedy for Camilla and the late Selina’s father.

But I didn’t mind.

‘Technically, he wasn’t my biological father.

But, if the marriage is annulled twice, it must be a huge blow, right?

“It would be a disgrace to the Crawford family if it turns out that I have half-brothers who grow up and live among the barbarians.”

“……!”

Franz’s pupils dilated.

It was not uncommon for a child whose father was unknown to grow up on the battlefield.

However, if the story is about a patriot who died after making a significant contribution to the war, the story may be slightly different.

‘This is why you should have taken responsibility.’

Sir Patron was in charge of my half-brothers.

Even Camilla knew their existence.

Count Crawford had his first son before marrying Joanna, and his second son after.

Selina was born in the middle of the first and second sons.

‘What garbage.’

It was just an excuse that he was living his previous life differently. Because there are many men who do not cheat.

It was revolting. He wasn’t even in a rut when he remarried Camilla.

“Wh-why do you want to embark on such a hard process?”

“What about you make a guess?”

If the parent’s marriage is annulled, the child is not required to take the surname of the guilty spouse.

As a result, I have the right to choose my mother’s surname.

‘Joanna Chester.’

It was Selina’s biological mother’s name before she married.

‘Selina’s mother is the Duke of Chester’s only daughter who was raised like a princess.’

Duke Chester was the reason why the Crawford family, the frontier guard, received no support from the royal family.

‘I can understand that.’

Duke Chester was grieved, due to the death of his daughter in a mysterious accident, but his son-in-law remarried in a hurry.

Furthermore, Duke Chester already had a strained relationship with Duke Maple.

‘If I were Duke Chester, I would be ashamed of the Crawfords.’

How much does Duke Chester despise his one and only granddaughter?

‘Well, I don’t need his love. Because all I need is his name.’

The reason why I want to have Duke Chester’s surname who doesn’t even consider me as his bloodline is because there’s no justification for me to live in the capital.

Duke Chester.

A family of the Empress Dowager was said even could take down a flying bird.

⇺⇺⇺⇼⇻⇻⇻

Kindly leave any comments, please.
For any mistakes errors and issues
Please contact me through discord

Author's Thoughts

T/N:
*De facto marriage: a relationship between two people who are not legally married.
** Take down a flying bird (나는 새도 떨어뜨린다): To have so much power that you can do whatever you want.