Vol. 2 Chapter 7 - Face is The Scary Thing

* * * * *

“Now, what did you just say?”

Camilla, who had gracefully lifted the teacup, sprung to her feet with a clang.

Clang! Her hand was fairly harsh when she dropped the tea cup down.

“Did you just assume I’d neglected Selina?”

Camilla trembled, as though she couldn’t believe she’d been asked this.

“I spent my entire youth raising her… but this is all I get.”

Tears welled up in her big eyes in an instant.

“If only raising my dead husband’s child made me hear this…… I should have left before her father dried up. Sob…sob… “

When Camilla couldn’t say anything else, Emma, who was standing next to her, chimed in.

“What do you mean discrimination? It doesn’t make sense, Commander. Do you have any idea how much Lady Selina means to our Madam?”

Sob, sob… Enough. You don’t need to say anything else ”

“I was there as a living witness, right next to Madam and Lady Selina, and I saw everything.”

Camilla’s tears were brushed away by Emma, who brought out her handkerchief.

Camilla, on the other hand, felt agitated and slapped Emma’s hand and spoke angrily.

“What good are all the witnesses? To a man who has no faith in me!”

“……”

“When Selina arrives tomorrow, be sure to ask her! You’re not going to believe a word I say anyway!”

“……”

“Do you think I’m clueless that you don’t want me to marry your brother? I knew you despised me from the start! Sob…

Cedric turned away, embarrassed by Camilla’s shrill cry.

He simply questioned cautiously if she had done something that would disappoint Selina.

“Commander, Madam has always treated Lady Selina like her own daughter, like if she were her own daughter.”

Cedric was addressed by Emma, who had a kind expression on her face.

“Although Madam is not her biological mother, I know better than anyone that Madam did her best. Even more so than Lady Shanon……”

“Get out! Get out now!”

Camilla threw a teacup to the ground.

Emma bolted out the study, as if she were fleeing.

There are only two of them remaining. Camilla cried for a long time, and Cedric waited for her to finish sobbing by staring out the window.

Camilla, bored of her opponent’s disinterest, was the first to raise the white flag.

“Such a stone like man.”
(T/N: 목석 같은 사람 a man who like a stone, used to describe a person who rarely, almost never, show her/his feelings.)

“…….”

“A woman is crying in front of you, but you don’t even want to soothe her.”

Cedric then switched his gaze to Camila and opened his mouth with an uninterested expression.

“Is this something to make a fuss about?”

“Make a fuss you said!?”

“I just… asked once. Because you’re the parent of that child, and my niece has a worried expression on her face!”