CHAPTER: 22

Drishtadyumna's POV:

Berries were particularly difficult to harvest in Panchaal during this time of the year.

Difficult, yes. Impossible never.

Never when it came to his little sister.

Panchaali loved berries! When she first stepped on earth, all she wanted for a whole week were berries.

And as her brother I had taken the responsibility of growing a separate plantation of blueberries, raspberries and gooseberries what not.

Everyday I woke up at 4 am. Had a bath and watered his small greenery before going about the rest of nu days.
The way her eyes sparkled when having the fruits were more than enough of a reward for his hardwork.

I sighed for what seemed like the 100th time in the last minute.
Missing Panchi seemed to be taking a toll on me, why did she have to go to Dwarka? Couldn't Krishn have come to Panchaal? It's not like Krishn is not more or less like a daily visitor to Panchaal already.

Though it had been just four days since her departure, it felt like decades had passed.
I honestly wondered how he, his sister or father would be able to live after her sister's marriage. Her swayamvar was after all just a few days later. The whole of Panchaal was decked up like a bride for the marriage of their dearest princess. All the big and powerful yuvraj's, kings and emperors were invited to take part in the competition to win the hand of the universal beauty.

A hand caressed my head.
I looked up to see my elder sister standing there.

"Jiji! Aap yaha? Aiye Aiye. Aap hi ko khoj raha tha main. Would you like to have some berries? I'm picking some fresh ones for Panchaali, since she's coming back today. I've decided that we're gonna spoil her rotten the next few days. Who when we will meet her again if she decides to marry a man of a faraway kingdom. I'll really miss her y'know."

My grin instantly twisted to a frown when a lone tear rolled down Shikhandini jiji's cheek.
Now that I paid attention to her facial features, she was unusually pale and her eyes held a hollow look. 

Worry clouded my senses. I quickly kept the bowl of fruits aside and gently grabbed her shoulders. 

"Kya hua Jiji? Is everything okay? Aap bari chintit prateet ho rahi hain?"

I helplessly watched as another tear followed but no words. Jiji's bottom lip wobbled, as if she might cry any moment now.

I'd never seen her crying except that one time when Draupadi almost fell of the castle top while running around. Jiji had been so scared that she had started to cry rather than scold his twin.