Chapter 42

"Look, there he is!"

"Wait, that guy?"

"That's the one from the post."

"No way! Not Joe Walker."

"He always seemed like such a nice guy."

"Did you see his face?"

"Well clearly someone taught him a lesson."

"Aw man, that looks like it hurts."

"Serves him right."

"Oh him! The gay one that's dating that sophomore."

"I wonder if he beats him too."

"Serves that guy right, sleeping with someone else's man."

It had only been three days, and Joe still hadn't become accustomed to all of the whispers in the hallways. He had started making a habit of plugging his headphones into his ears, but that hadn't assisted in helping him tune out all of the pointing and staring.

It also hadn't helped with the new heightened level of anxiety he'd been experiencing. Times like now, he'd found himself pulling one of his headphones out, peering to hear what other people were saying about him. The comments about him definitely stung, but the it was the ones about his relationship with Brian that made him want to break down.

Campus should've basically been empty considering the fact that it was long after classes had ended; yet it seemed that not only was after school life alive and well, but everyone who was there knew who he was. Joe currently was walking straight from lacrosse practice to rehearsal for Spies Are Forever, avoiding eye contact with anyone and everyone as he made his way back from the fields. He felt completely disgusting as he approached the theatre building, but he knew that the locker rooms definitely were not a safe place for him to be right now.

All of his friends were going above and beyond to support him, despite the backlash that it was bringing on them. He'd told everyone frequently that he didn't want them to take any heat on his behalf, but unfortunately he was cursed with fiercely loyal friends. Lauren was somehow managing to constantly be on the attack across social media; finding every single negative post or comment related to Joe, commenting in Joe's defense, and then reporting the post. Darren, Nick, Dylan, and Holden had taken to creating a rotating schedule for escorting Joe to all of his classes. His friends had all attempted to convince Joe that the situation wouldn't affect them, but he could see the looks that they all received.

As for his boyfriend? The epitome of a supportive partner; something Joe had definitely never experienced before. Brian's complete lack of interest in social media had finally paid off—it was almost annoying to Joe how easily he could ignore all of it. Brian had suggested to Joe that he turn off his notifications or log out of the apps, but Joe found the temptation to know what people were saying about him too great. At school, he somehow managed to completely turn a blind eye to all of the looks and comments he was getting when the two of them were together. Behind closed doors? He'd probably comforted Joe through a hundred anxiety attacks, somehow always knowing exactly what to say to help Joe find his way out of it.

"Hey," Brian smiled at Joe as he walked in to the rehearsal room, kissing him on the cheek. "You look... sporty."

"Yeah I know, I'm disgusting right now." Joe teased, setting his backpack down on the floor and pulling his script out of his backpack. "You think it's bad? You only have to look at it—I have to feel all of this."

Brian shifted his legs back and forth awkwardly, looking around to make sure that no one was paying them any attention. "I mean... you still look hot." He whispered, a slight blush spreading across his face.