18: The Morning and Afternoon After It All Went Down

Chapter Eighteen: The Morning and Afternoon After it All Went Down 

One Hour Before Convocation

Kieran

I woke up in Gen's bed, weak, pale streams of sunlight drifting in through parted curtains. I was alone, but not too surprised. There was a small possibility my friend would come back at some point during the night, but she hadn't. A wolf run was exhausting even without mobs of alphas bent on stealing someone's virginity.

I tried to kind of make fun of the situation in my head, take away some of its power over me, try to make it funny. Laying there, staring at Gen's ceiling, I tried to shake it off. Let it go. It was last night. It wasn't today. It was over.

I sat up, against her pillows, the blankets pooling over my lap, so tired. What was I going to do today? How was I going to move through my day after last night?

Ignore it. Act like it never happened.

Run away.

Those were the only two choices that appealed to me. That seemed logical.

I'd just go about my day, and tomorrow, I'd ignore the awkwardness of sitting in class with boys who showed me images of them shoving their body parts into mine without my consent. Eventually I'd forget about it. I'd Activate at the end of the month, find my mate, and never have to think about it again.

I'd be too busy ruling North America to let it prey on my mind.

Ha.

What a shit show.

If I ran away, I might never find my mate. I remember distinctly how it felt to hear their thoughts, how much love was in the few simple communications we'd shared. I loved them. I did. The mate bond was already secured. We would be together, the Goddess already ordained it. It couldn't be anything else. I was confident in that. They said they were my mate, and I completely believed them.

So...I just had to swallow my pride, and get over it. It was over.  It wouldn't happen again.

Right?

A knock on the door made me flinch. Like full body adrenaline filled panic. Then it dissipated. Someone coming to hurt me wouldn't knock.

"Ummm...yeah?" I called.

"Breakfast?" It was Antony.

Despite my ordeals and anxiety, I was hungry. Ravenous.

"Yes! Give me a second."

=

We sat at the table, same as last night. Three men. Well, maybe one man. One wolf, kind of. One omega. But still...three guys.

As we ate, chatting the tiniest bit about the garden, since that was a pretty tame conversation topic, free of drama, I chewed and swallowed, barely tasting any of the granola, yogurt and stewed pumpkin in brown sugar that Grant made. Antony seemed pretty quiet without Gen, and Grant was a very quiet man generally speaking. I didn't really have much to fill the silence, so it was a little stilted.

I missed being around the women in my pack. My grandma, my cousins, the older women who sometimes helped out in our garden. The men for the large majority ignored me. And guys my age were kind of freaked out around me, the only omega in our pack for generations. But my female cousins talked to me. They didn't hang out with me or anything, but they didn't completely ignore me.

Now the only women here on the grounds were: my Great Aunt, Gen, Mina, the PE teacher, Professor Daly, and a few other teachers. I mean, maybe that wasn't too bad, numbers wise but when you realized there were 118 alphas, the Oracle, Antony, one human male, and maybe ten male teachers...so......maybe 10 women to 130 men.