21: Hand to Hand

Chapter Twenty One: Hand to Hand

Kieran

So....

Days in the cushioned prison, studying and sleeping, wondering if I'd ever be allowed to leave.

One night's reprieve in James' arms.

A night of Hell on earth.

Three nights in a hotel room, trying not to have sex with someone who was kind, handsome, sexy and twenty years older than me. And my classmate's dad.

I really needed a break, but my life didn't seem to work that way.

=

The Oracle approached our happy homecoming, clearing his throat as Kai brought his hands slowly down my lower back. Earning the Oracle a baleful, somewhat less than respectful glare from Dylan. Ollie pouted, Lawrence sighed and Santiago simply took a step away, realizing quickly that there was no way to win this battle.

"Now, now, we discussed this, boys. You just have to be patient. A week and a half. That's all it's going to take. After eleven days, he's all yours."

I made a strange noise. What?

"Kieran, you know what I mean," the Oracle amended.

Did I? Because as much as I like my friends, that sounded....not....ummm... what?

"He's tired." Ollie insisted. "Cooped up with a professor for three days! He's exhausted."

I stared at the ground, trying very hard not to look at Parker.

"He needs to relax," Ollie continued. "A good night's sleep! How about you let him room with me, Oracle? I'm very polite, respectful. I promise, super pinky promise, to let him sleep on his own bed, and I'll sleep far far away from him. Promise! Please let me keep him!"

The Oracle rolled his eyes. "No."

"Well, how about if he moves back in with me?" Will suddenly said.

"No." This time James echoed the Oracle, which even I heard, as far away from us as he was.

Why didn't he walk away from Mina and come give me a hug or at least talk to me?

He never wanted to be with me when everyone else was around. He said he only wanted to be close to me when we were alone. Was he... ashamed of me? Or .. ashamed of liking a boy? Or ... just because I was someone he really didn't WANT to like?

We slept together, with him, him holding me, the other night. And the morning after, talking quietly. Getting dressed together. It was really perfect. I'd never felt so special.

But right now he wouldn't even look at me.

Asshole.

"He's staying with me." Kai growled, pulling me behind his back. Dylan took my hand. I might be the only one who knew that when Kai said 'me', he meant me as in himself and Dylan.

"No." This time the Oracle sounded almost bored.

"I have an idea," Parker said, slowly approaching us, speaking directly to the Oracle, not even acknowledging anyone else's presence. "Why doesn't Kieran take Mina's old room in my suite? That way a teacher can keep a close eye on him to make sure he's carefully guarded from these children, and his own impulsiveness."

"Okay, that solves the problem neatly," the Oracle sounded relieved. "Kieran, you don't really have much of a choice, but does that sound okay with you?"