19: What's Next?

Chapter Nineteen: What's Next? Why a Trip to Town, Of Course

James

"You're not supposed to be here." I whispered.

"Shut up." He snuggled closer.

"The Oracle said we have to stay away from each other." I said, rubbing his neck gently.

"No."

"Works for me." I agreed.

It was early, early morning. Still dark, not even five yet, according to the digital clock on my dresser. After the best sleep of my life.

"I'm sorry, Kieran." I said, needing to say it. Second time I apologized to him in just a few days. Even though clearly Kieran wasn't concerned about what happened. At least he didn't seem to blame me. He wouldn't be in my bed, warming his feet against mine if he did.

"Yeah, me too."

I didn't try to deny his apology, just nodded. We both made a few decisions the other night that led to disastrous results. Well, me more than him, honestly.

"You do know we cant....again...right?" I pushed my hips against his, which was probably a huge (sorry) mistake.

"I do know. I don't want a repeat."

"No? I really do." I put my nose in his ear, wishing I could lick, but trying to be good.

"Dummy. Not that. What happened after. I don't want that to happen again. I was scared. Very scared." His quiet voice in the dark room was free of drama, but still, his hands tightened on my lower back, holding me closer.

"That's why I apologized."

"Stop, I don't want to talk about it. We should go to sleep. We have breakfast and Convocation in a couple of hours. I feel so comfortable." He sighed.

"Me, too, Kieran."

We lay together, his hand brushing up and down my back, his breath on my neck. My leg over his, around his hip.

"Are you my mate?"

The question resonated in the room.

I swallowed heavily, held him even closer. He didn't seem to mind.

"I hope so, Kieran."

"Because you want to be the Keystone Alpha?" he asked.

"Hmmm??"

Ha! Oh my freaking god. Or Goddess I guess. I'd forgotten all about that.

"No. I just want to be your mate."

"Oh."

The Oracle would be so proud of me. Because I desperately wanted to prove to Kieran that I love him. I wanted to kiss him so badly.

But I didn't.

=

Twenty four hours later, I really, really wished I had.

===

Kieran

With extreme reluctance we got out of bed. It took even longer (sorry, is this getting old?) because both of us kept dragging each other back onto the bed for five more minutes.

But I was hungry.

Yesterday, I ate with Ollie in the kitchen for lunch. He made me elote nachos with the corn from the garden. Tortilla chips, drizzled with jalapeno studded queso, corn and cotija crumbles and just for me, mango salsa. The school gets produce delivered somehow because I know for a fact there was no tropical fruit growing in the school garden.