27: So It Begins

Chapter Twenty Seven: So It Begins

James

So many alphas left with their parents that there were enough empty rooms for every Potential to have a single dorm. It was the Oracle's decision, that we should have privacy when Kieran wanted to explore his new relationship with us.

With me.

I lay on my bed, looking at my scars, my finger tracing the mark on my left hand, feeling the skin puckered and rough, it was bizarre. Painful still.  

Kieran was going to "experiment" with all twenty seven of us. Not just me. I knew that. I knew that's how it worked. The Oracle reminded all of us again and again, and then again tonight after we were Chosen.

This morning, the idea of Kieran with anyone but me made me livid. Unable to freaking breathe.

But now.

It was bizarre. So weird.

I wasn't upset.  

The crescent moons on our palms...I could...I felt...connected with the other alphas. We were like brothers. A new pack. Separate from our home Pack. A pack of wolves revolving around Kieran. Our Luna.

I felt...weird. Not like myself. Numb. Patient. Like I was somehow wrapped in an emotional cocoon. My feelings sapped of energy.

I wanted to be mad about it, but for some reason I wasn't.

It was the complete opposite of this morning when every single one of my feelings was turned up to the nth degree. Anger, frustration, lust, jealousy. A burning tsunami of emotions I couldn't control.

I lay back on my bed, so weird to be in this room without Jordan. We'd roomed together for the last three and half years. I was sixteen almost seventeen then,  now I am twenty. Jordan was just a puppy when he'd arrived. Eleven? How old was he now? I couldn't even remember.

But I didn't really want him here, now that Kieran's Activation was complete. I didn't.

What I wanted was Kieran to knock on my door. To Choose me for his partner on his first night free of his hated vest. To Choose me, his mate, over the other twenty six wolves.

I wanted it. But I wasn't freaking out about it.

I should be.

I wanted to be.

Freaking out about it.

I just wasn't.

What I felt was tired.

So tired.

It was almost one in the morning. Everything outside was illuminated by the moonlight. It was beautiful.

Kieran was beautiful.

I'd hear him if he knocked on the door. I would.

I would always hear him.

I rolled over in bed, naked, in case he showed up. I wanted to feel his skin against mine again.

The blankets felt so soft...

My sweet Kieran.

My mate.

My lov....

===

Kieran

The Oracle asked me to give him a little time to get the alphas situated in their own rooms. So I went outside, and stared up at the moon.