21

Next day Haseena was sitting on the couch, busy with her work. Nearby, Karishma was trying to work too, but it wasn't going well. Haseena initially smiled, thinking Karishma was finally focusing on her task. However, her smile disappeared as she saw Karishma struggling.
Beads of sweat formed on Karishma's forehead, her breaths came in irregular bursts, and her hands trembled as she struggled to write, causing her to scatter papers in frustration.

"Karishma," Haseena called out with concern.

Karishma looked up, her eyes reflecting a mix of distress and determination.

"ap theek hn?" Haseena inquired, with a worried face.

Karishma, trying to mask her unease, replied, "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that I haven't written in a while, so I'm feeling a bit hesitant."

Haseena nodded in understanding but couldn't ignore the palpable tension in the room.

Karishma, can I hold Cleo?" she asked, her voice filled with hesitation.

A glimmer of relief crossed Karishma's face as haseena nodded in agreement. Karishma gently took Cleo into her arms, providing Karishma with the comforting peace, she needed. With Cleo nestled in one arm, Karishma resumed writing, her mood visibly lightening.

Haseena understood that there was more to Karishma's distress than mere writer's block. She knew that it was time to know more about her.

______________________________________

Every night, as usual, Karishma was seated on the terrace, her mind lost in a sea of thoughts. Then, like clockwork, Haseena appeared, with a steaming cup of coffee.

"Coffee," Haseena softly offered, extending the mug towards Karishma.

"Thank you," Karishma replied with a warm smile, accepting the cup.

Haseena took a seat beside her, a somber look in her eyes.

"Karishma, kia hum ap sy Kuch pouch skty hn?" Haseena said, her voice tinged with seriousness.

"Of course, ap hum sy kuch bi pouch skti han ap ko haq ha Jan ny ka" Karishma replied, turning towards Haseena.

"Tell me something about your background, Karishma," Haseena requested.

Ohh ,You want to know about your in-laws?" Karishma teased playfully.

"Please, Karishma, hum serious hn," Haseena said in serious voice.

"Alright," she said while putting the cup aside. Karishma began, her voice filled with deep emotion. " So I belonged to a well-educated, well-maintained, influential family. Everything was going smoothly until tragedy happen. My father passed away when I was just thirteen. After his death, my mother took on all the responsibilities.

She even sent me to boarding school because she needed to focus on our family business, which faced numerous challenges without my father's guidance. But she made sure to visit me every week and talk to me every day."

Karishma's voice quivered as she continued, her eyes glistening with tears. "Everything seemed to be holding together until she received a news that she had cancer. She didn't tell me at first, hiding the extent of her suffering as she continued to work hard for business. When her health worsen to a critical stage, she brought me back home. It was then that I realized the severity of her condition. I made her stop from working and dedicated myself to caring for her day and night."