Chapter 52 - Closer to Normality

Devon was leaning against one of the banisters, watching the performance on the stage below, illusion disk on so he can actually be in public. It had been a few weeks since Laurence brought his friends and everything had gone mostly back to normal. Apparently he'd tried to convince the other day guard there were ghosts here, to no avail, most of them not even talking to him anymore. Devon thought that was funny. Today was Sam and Jeremiah's first days of working. Jeremiah was in the back, shadowing one of the workers who was in charge of counting incoming and outgoing merchandise, since the S.T.A.F.F. bots apparently weren't good at counting. Sam was following Vanessa around today, since she was on the day shift. That meant that Devon was looking after the brown haired gremlin.

"Ugh I don't need you to watch meeeeeeeee! I can take care of myselffffffff," Gregory groaned, standing on a bench to watch Freddy down below.

"I know that but Vanessa told me to watch you dumbass," Devon said, messing up Gregory's hair. The boy hit Devon in the side, protesting against Devon messing up his hair. Devon laughed and then stopped messing with his hair. He liked hanging out with Gregory and found him a fun person to be around. They continued to watch the show, Gregory happily cheering and singing along as he knew all the songs off by heart. Devon didn't sing along, but he would bop his head along to the music. After the third song and the lights returning to normal, and Freddy and co. leaving the stage, Devon went to turn around and bumped into a blonde haired man.

"Oh damn sorry," he said.

"No problem... Oh hey Devon," Nole smiled at Devon.

"Oh its you," Gregory said. Nole nodded.

"What are you doing here?" Devon asked. Nole looked a bit lost and sighed.

"Oh. Vanessa messaged me that it was Sam's first day and I came to say hi to him. I've also brought some stuff for you guys," Nole said with a small shrug, "You wouldn't happen to know where they are?"

"Uhm, no? I mean he's kinda just being taken around and taught things so you're bound to run into them eventually," Devon shrugged. Nole sighed exasperatedly and nodded.

"Thanks for the help I guess. Have fun then kids," Nole smiled and walked away. Devon sighed and then looked at Gregory.

"So, where to now, oh small one," he chuckled. Gregory gasped, offended, and then pouts, looking away from Devon.

"Anywhere away from you," he stated, pouting.

"... Wanna go beat me at the racing game in the Arcade?" Devon asked. Gregory glanced at him and then groaned.

"Fineeeeeeee. But only because you actually give me a challenge with it," Gregory grumbled. Devon rolled his eyes and walked with Gregory to the arcade. DJ Musicman was at his normal spot, bopping along to the music as he mixed it. He must've seen them come in, since when Devon and Gregory finally got up to the second floor and the song finished, a song Devon knew began to play. He hummed along to it, although people around seemed confused by the song.

"Hurry up slowpoke!" Gregory called from ahead, pulling out the arcade tokens he has in his back pocket. Devon jogged a little to catch up to him and waited with him in the line behind two girls for the racing cars. There were only two hooked up to do versus games, which seemed odd because they had like 30 different types of pinball machines but not more racing games. Gregory had the highest scores on most of the games, since he played them after hours, but it didn't seem to matter since people were mostly here for fun with friends.

"You two are going to be waiting a while," a boy about Gregory's age came up to them as they'd been standing there for a few minutes, gesturing to the two girls impatiently waiting for the two people on the racing game to finish.

"Oh. Why?" Gregory asked, looking the boy up and down.

"Those are my sisters and they won't stop playing until the other gives up. It'll be a while since they are both stubborn," the boy sighed.

"But we are in line, that's how it works," Devon stated.

"They don't care," the boy explained. Devon looked at Gregory who was glaring at the girls as they got on the game.

"Fine. Let's just go. I'm hungry anyways," Gregory pouted. He as really moody today. Devon thanked the boy for warning them and then walked back down the stairs. He peeked into the dancefloor area and gave a small wave to the DJ who tipped his head towards him. Devon smiled and continued to follow Gregory out of the Arcade and into the elevator. No one else was in there with them since most people don't leave the arcade for a little while and a bunch of people had just gone in.

"You ok?" Devon asked.

"Today sucks," Gregory grumbled.

"Why? Just because we couldn't race?" Devon asked.

"Because I'm stuck with you! Vanessa knows I can take care of myself, I did it before you all showed up and now she thinks I need a babysitter!" Gregory snapped. Devon processed what he said for a moment and then nodded.

"Well, I probably would've wanted to hang out with you anyway. The other ghosts are getting too much and Toby's back to being... so I have no idea what's going on half the time," Devon said, trying to make Gregory less angry with him.

"I would've rather I'd been given a choice though," Gregory stated.

"And I would rather not be missing an arm," Devon said. Gregory looked at him and then sighed.

"You're better than me being stuck in the daycare," Gregory said.

"That's a very low bar," Devon replied. Gregory laughed and nodded, causing Devon to attempt to cross his arms before just letting out a groan of anger about the fact he's missing most of his other arm. This caused Gregory to laugh harder and get a light punch on the arm from Devon. The elevator doors opened and Gregory followed Devon, still chuckling occasionally as they walked towards one of the restaurants in the Pizzaplex.