Chapter 5 - Care over Agony

"- I get that you're a ghost. That's why I don't understand how you can get knocked out," Vanessa's voice floated up to the balcony. Gregory rushed down the stairs and through the open wood doors. Sun was sitting cross-legged with a very comfortable looking Devon sitting in his lap. Freddy was standing next to Vanessa, who both had their backs to him. Devon saw Gregory and his eyes seemed to smile.

"Maybe it is because he is physically here?" Freddy chimed in.

"I do not trust either of you with him. He got hurt within an hour of being found," Sun grumbled, playing gently with Devon's hair.

"Gregory!" Devon waved. Wow that was unsettling. Gregory shuddered at the lack of movement in his face. He walked over and smiled at Devon and Freddy.

"There you are Superstar. I was about to call you on your Fazwatch," Freddy said.

"Where've you been?" Vanessa asked.

"Moon wanted to show me something. I think it's relevant now that Devon is here," Gregory replied. Devon tipped his head.

"Moon's project is private. I do not think that Devon has anything to do with it Rule Breaker," Sun muttered.

"I mean. It also has a soul. So why not?" Gregory protested.

"It has a what?" Sun froze for a moment. He let go of Devon's hair and looks at Vanessa with a look of fear on his plastic face.

"Great. Another ghost," Vanessa groaned.

"Do you know who it is?" Devon asked.

"Uh. Her name is Sarah," Gregory replied.

"Hm," Devon sighed.

"What do you mean by project?" Freddy interrupted.

"Oh. She's like an old robot and he is fixing her up," Gregory shuddered. Her cold robotic eyes still felt like they were looking through him.

"I will go talk with Moon and this Sarah chick. You guys figure out what we are going to do with Devon for the time being," Vanessa grumbled. She started to walk away.

"Geez, first reports of Jeremiah being alive and now this, I swear this place is hell," Vanessa muttered as she walks away.

"Who's Jeremiah?" Gregory asked. Freddy shifted uncomfortably. Devon looked between Gregory and Freddy before going to stand up. Sun protested; unhappy his new friend was walking away.

"Freddy?" Gregory asked again. Devon stared at Freddy. Freddy looked at Devon. It was uncomfortable to be under his gaze.

"I knew Jeremiah. He was the one testing that VR game," Sun stated, standing up.

"That is correct Sun Drop. He, erm. Had an accident," Freddy stuttered.

"Right. I tried to avoid thinking about it. He was so nice. I always wondered what happened. What did happen?" Sun rambled. Freddy flicked his ears, a thing he often did when he was nervous.

"He... got hurt. Mentally from what we could tell. He started talking nonsense. Vannessa knew him and had been getting worried. Then one day, he just disappeared. Vanessa went to look for him and he was dead. Bled out," Freddy said quickly. Sun made a sound of anguish and shook his head in disbelief. He'd known about Jeremiah's passing but had never asked how until now.

"How'd he bleed out? Was he attacked?" Devon asked.

"Not exactly," Freddy replied.

"I am literally dead; gore does not bother me. You can thank Kelsey for that," Devon said sourly.

"I am worried about Gregory," Freddy replied.

"I don't care. I have seen some super messed up shit," Gregory replied.

"Language," Freddy muttered. Sun was glaring at Gregory. Devon shifted impatiently.

"He ripped off his own face, geez," Freddy snapped. He didn't like this topic. Sun squeaked in horror and started pacing. Devon looked at Gregory who shrugged.

"Never met the man. Doesn't affect me," Gregory said.

"Honestly, that's a neat way to die," Devon said. Freddy looked at him, concerned.

"Wait so how is he back?" Sun asked.

"There's just reports of it," Freddy replied.

"Agony, probably," Devon said.

"What?" Freddy asked.

"Agony. It fuels the spirit in death, and from the sounds of it, his death would've been painful as hell. So Agony would fuel him back to life. As it did for me," Devon said. He moved his hand when he talked, trying to emphasize the point.

"How do you know all this stuff?" Gregory asked wide-eyed. He was truly enjoying having a ghost friend, he found it interesting and fun.

"Oh, I shared the suit I died to with 2 other people, so I learned a lot from them," Devon explained.

"Other people died to the suit?" Freddy asked.

"Around 20 people, only 3 of us stayed though. Until Andrew ditched us for that scrappy body, and we were left to rot away," Devon growled. Gregory stopped asking questions. When Devon would get worked up, his pupils would change shape, which they were. Sun was pacing aggressively, muttering to himself. Freddy stood there really awkwardly.

"WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?" Vanessa's voice rang between the notes of the Daycare Theme. Sun looked towards the balcony near the theatre and saw Moon walking away from a very angry Vanessa.

"Oh so I am in trouble for doing something good for a change," Moon growled back. He walked down the stairs and into the daycare.

"You are in trouble for not telling me," Vanessa stated, rushing after him.

"Oh god you have eyes," Moon said, looking at Devon as he went to talk with Sun.

"Moon," Vanessa said.

"What?" Moon snapped.

"You can't think that your brother is just going to protect you from me scolding you," Vanessa stated.

"Officer Vanessa, is there a problem?" Freddy asked. Devon and Gregory were watching the drama. Gregory is 9 and Devon is 16 but they both enjoy seeing the chaos unfold.

"Moon can't keep bringing in old things. He's going to grab the wrong thing and endanger himself or others," Vanessa states coldly.

"Are you referring to the project with a soul?" Freddy asked. Vanessa nodded.

"I think it is nice of him to care. No offense to you Moon, but you aren't the nicest right off the bat. The fact you saw something was wrong and helped gives me some reassurance that the glitch is gone," Freddy said. Moon shifted uncomfortably. The glitch was a touchy subject for him.

"He needs to tell a guard!" Vanessa snaps.

"He told me! And I have guarding protocol, so he didn't break any rules," Sun defended. Vanessa thought about it for a moment.

"He has a point Officer Vanessa," Freddy agrees. Vanessa sighs, giving up.

"Whatever. I need to continue my rounds. I couldn't find anything about Devon by the way," Vanessa said.

"That's probably Andrew's fault," Devon shrugged.

"Who is Andrew?" Vanessa asks.

"He's the little shit that took my remnant and made himself another body and went off somewhere and left me with my killer in the suit we died in," Devon states flatly.

"Language. Also how rude of him," Sun said. Devon made a sound of agreement.

"Well, I can't help you then. Goodbye," Vanessa said, walking out of the room. The group stood awkwardly in the daycare beforeMoon grumbled and headed to go continue working on Sarah. Once Moon was out of sight, Sun ushered the group out of the daycare and closed the door.