•Chapter 6•

MALAK'S POV

Don't get me wrong, but I'm not particularly thrilled about the idea of my mother hugging me and smiling at the same time. It means something I don't like is definitely going to happen and I have too much on my plate right now. With my ever growing problems with Yasir and him growing insecure by the pass of every second like I wasn't the one who was ready to fight the world for us when our relationship was frowned upon and the art program in Abuja wanting to cancel my admission because it's the second time I'm forfeiting I don't want more of Mama's troubles.

"Mama what's wrong, komai lafiya?" I ask. Probably not the best thing to ask your mother when she hugs you but we have one of the weirdest relationships out there. "Everything is fine Malak, more than fine, something good just happened and all those family members gossiping about you will have to keep their mouth shut, because yours isn't even an ordinary big catch, it's one of the biggest" she beams looking at me proudly, something that hasn't happen for as long as I could remember.

"What are you talking about?" This time I'm really confused. "I pulled some strings Malak. Apparently, The Tafidas are looking for a wife for their son, and your uncle Maikudi is friends with his, I made him introduce you to the Tafidas and I just received a phonecall, he's coming next weekend" She's still smiling as she delivers the news but really, forgive my language what the actual fuck? She can't be serious right?

"Which of the Tafidas?" I ask hoping it's not the one I already met because the mere presence of that guy riles me up. "Aslam's friend" she says raising her brows asking if there's a problem. "It's a disaster waiting to happen" I shrug and she frowns. "Malak, wallahi ba wasa nakeyi ba, but if by any chance your father ask you whether you want to marry this man or not and you make the mistake of saying no, you'll look for a new mother" She says with no trace of lark.

"You're going to disown me?" I ask "Mama you'll disown me if I refused to be forcefully married?" I ask once again, disbelief evident in my tone. "Yes, bakin cikin ki bazai kasheni ba, disobey me Malak, I have four other kids but you only have one mother" she replies and exits even before I could say something.

My own mother, my own mother is saying such words to me? Did she really gave birth to me? Does she really love me or ever cared about me? Lulu moved to where I sat rubbing her body all over me as if to comfort me. "We're fine Lulu, we'll get through this I promise" I whisper caressing her and she purrs as a reply.

"We'll talk to Yasir about this, then convince the Tafida guy to leave us alone when he comes next week" I say to Lulu and she only continues to rub her body all over me. I picked my phone and stare at it for a while before finally mustering the courage to call Yasir.

"We need to talk" I say immediately after he picks. "I'm free right now" he replies. "Can't we meet?" I ask. "I'll be busy later" came his reply in a clipped tone. We aren't on good terms at the moment but we really are in love with each other, besides all couples fight. "Do you love me?" I blurt. "Malak..." he starts. "Just answer me" I cut him off. "Of course I love you and you know that too" he answers with a sigh.

"I love you Yasir and I really want to be with you forever always but....." I trailed off not knowing where to start from. "But?" He questions. "It's Mama" I whisper. "She got you another rich man to marry? You can say no, you've always said no or are you also interested in him?" he mocks. "Yasir not now please" I sigh.

"Mama promised to disown me if I disagree to the marriage" "Tell your father about it" he says casually. How the hell is he not concerned about this, about my feelings? "You think it's that easy? she's my mother" I snap. "Then let's break up" he says. "Yasir how insensitive and selfish are you? You think I want this or I hurt less than you do? In fact I hurt more because I'm torn between this marriage and the man I love" I say.