•Chapter 24•

MALAK'S POV

Not going to lie, staying at home isn't entirely bad. I mean I get to sleep, watch Aladdin with Nadeen like I'm currently doing right now and watch Lulu be a spoilt brat.

She gets too much attention from Nadeen and savoring every second of it.

As much as I hate to discuss this, my main concern is Na'eem.

He said he'll handle it and no one will hurt us and I believe him. But what about him? If we're under threat and we know nothing about this godforsaken case, what about him that's on the case?

If anything I'm angry he's putting himself on the line and I don't know why. I don't know why I care, I don't know why I'm angry at him and I don't know why I'm worried. It's his life anyway, I don't have the right to tell him what to do.

Suddenly my phone starts to ring and Huda's name flashed on my screen.

"Hi Huda, how are you doing?" I ask with a little smile. I really like talking to her. She's easygoing and my favourite Tafida if you exclude Nadeen. "Hey, I'm good. Uhmm do you have a moment?" She ask hesitant and my body snapped in attention. "Yes" I say skeptical.

"Where's Nadeen?" She ask. "With me" I reply. "Mind going away from her please?' She ask again. I gently move Nadeen away from me and walk up to the dinning area.

"You're scaring the shit out of me Huda. Talk now" I say my patience growing thinner by every second.

"It's Na'eem..." she starts and my heart dropped.

"What about him?" My index starts to scratch my thumb. "He was shot" she replied with a sigh. "He...what?" I ask my voice evident of shock and disbelief.

"Look, it's nothing serious I promise. It was just a bullet graze. The bullet isn't even in his body" She explains.

"He was attacked with his driver, lost their security intel but they located them before anything got worse. They're at your family hospital...." Huda trails off when she hears me say nothing.

Her words are just like a distant whisper to me.

All that my head kept chanting was he was shot. Na'eem was shot! They would have killed him today.

Oh God! I hold on to the dinning table as I struggle to sit down because my legs might not carry me for that much longer.

"Are you there? Malak!" This time I can hear what Huda is saying. "Yes...I...." I trail off not knowing what to say honestly.

"Okay, just calm down. I'll be at your house in few minutes and pick Nadeen then you can go to the hospital" She didn't wait for me to reply as if knowing I'm finding it hard to do anything at this point and hung up.

I need to calm down, take it easy. Nadeen can't see me like this, she can't know what's going on, what happened to her Papa.

I take deep breaths and wipe my face before plastering a fake smile and going back to the living room.

Act cool Malak, act cool. Slow and steady.

"Hey Nads" I called and she looks up. "Ammah is coming soon to take you to Amani and Ahmad. Do you like that?" I ask referring to Huda. She blinked for a second before shaking her head with a little pout. Oh my dear heart!

"I want to stay with you and Lulu today" she says. "I know love, I'm sorry too. But C'mon, you love these playdates and it's only for a short while" I smile. She nods without a word.

"Mama love you so much" I hug her to my body and she relax a little. "I love you too" she says and I smile before placing a soft kiss on her cheek.

It only took Huda a few minutes like she promised to arrive.