•Chapter 9•

MALAK'S POV

My head bangs as I stare at the painting I just finished. It's rough and complicated, no colour contrasting with each other and that's exactly what's going on in my head. That's what my heart feels like. Mixed up thoughts and depressing ideas. They are freaking going to make me get married the next week and I have never been more confused.

I look up at my clock and let out a groan, I have to be dressed real quick before my tutor arrives. If you're wondering what tutor, Mama hired a cooking tutor immediately after they announced the wedding because she won't let me embarrass her which I'm quite thankful for. I'm not a good cook, sure I know how to make the basic food and that's all. I'm glad I finally get to learn other complicated dishes but I hope Mama doesn't expect me to be cooking for him. They hire the chefs for a reason.

My phone rang and I groaned when I saw Zulayha's name popping on my screen. Even with the well furnished house, Mama wasn't having it and finally found a way of decorating some parts of the house. This woman want parts of her everywhere I go, like a witch haunting me down.

"Yeah?" I ask setting the phone on my bedside drawer. "God! I always love your painting outfit" She whistles and I chuckle rolling my eyes. It's nothing much. A black Tee shirt that has seen better days and a black denim overall that has paint on it literally almost everywhere. My shoulder length wild hair in a messy high bun and a white bandana that has black and blue floral pattern around my head and lastly a bare feet.

"So how's everything down there?" I ask again using my paint stained hands to brush away the tendrils of wild hair on my face, it's curly but also the wildest. "And you'll always have paint on your hair as long as you have that brush" Zulayha sighed and I scowl.

"Enough of this....oh my gosh Malak!!! Your house is definitely freaking amazing. I know sage green and brown is definitely not your colour but Mama has done an amazing job, Masha Allah. And the Tafidas..they didn't disappoint with the remaining parts of the house- why are you quiet? Why are you not rejoicing?" She frowns when I got quiet all through her blabber and I shrug.

"I thought you said you're going to enjoy to the fullest even though it's not what you want" she says and I brush the stubborn hair with my paint streaked fingers again.....God l need a thorough bath. "I'm just tired and all my energy should be directed to my arts and arts only" I say as a matter of fact and Zulayha only sigh.

"Weird painting, but it looks beautiful" She murmured and I turned to look at the mounted canvas. "Thank you" I reply shortly. "I should be going, I have a lot of things to take care of, I have a morning flight next tomorrow and I haven't even packed yet!" Zulayha screeched the last part. "Bye" I roll my eyes and hung up. Zulayha has always been dramatic but pregnancy made it worse. Remind me to give an award to her husband the next time we meet because it's not easy putting up with her.

I still have some edges to finish finely on my painting and just when I raise my brush, Mama badged into the room. The horrified look on her face should be documented. "Malak, nikam baki da hankali ne? Look at your body, it has paint all over harda gashi. Do you want all the gyaran jiki to go in vain?" She ask and I didn't speak a word. "And there she goes ignoring me, let me see you hold that stupid brush in my house ever again, go and wash up for the gyaran jiki" Mama shook her head with a hiss before exiting the room.

I washed up and changed into a bathrobe all the while thinking of ways I could possibly kill Tafida without being suspected. All this nonsense is happening only because of him and I've never hated him more. A picture of smiling Nadeen flashed before my eyes and I smile for a splitting second, the only thing that makes sense in this whole chaos.

Fanne my beautician smiles at me when I entered the room I usually go through the torture and I smile back lightly. She's a nice person quite alright but I hate the pain she inflicts on me. I wouldn't lie though, I'm glowing as much as a black girl like me can.