•Chapter 29•

MALAK'S POV

EID DAY 2

"Anty, Hajiya na nemanki a dakinta" Altine, one of our maids said my attention from the show I was watching diverted. "Toh, kice mata ina zuwa, thank you" I reply with a small smile.

I don't know why Mama is looking for me as early as 10:00am. What I know however is this might be good or not. I'm going with the last one.

"Assalamu alaikum" I enter the room filled with the scent of turaren wuta and Mama exits from her closet upon hearing my salam.

"Yawwa, zo nan" she motions for me to go and sit and I marched to the place nervously before sitting on the chair opposite the bed she's sitting on.

"I want to talk to you about something" she starts going through the jewelry she's going to be wearing for later.

This year, Fadul's mother Aunty Ammu is the one hosting the Yinin Sallah and we're to go to her house in the next two hours or so.

"What is going on?" I ask cautiously. She sighs before giving me her full attention. "You look good, even though you added some weight" she starts. I don't like where this is going.

"You have some glow too" she adds. "Oh" I say forcing a smile out not knowing what to say to that exactly. I know the added weight is at the back of her mind, maybe she should just speak now and get over with it.

"Malak kina da ciki ne?" She dropped the bomb and I choke on my saliva. Kan bala'i! Where did that one come from ni Sa'adatu. "Na'am?" I ask definitely still confused. The irritation shone in her eyes for a second before she sigh and look at me again. "Are you pregnant?" She ask slower this time. "No, no, I'm not" I was quick to reply her.

Why did she even have that thought for goodness sake?

'Because you're married and all those women want to see the first year is a protruding belly' A voice whisper in my head and I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes. Ugh!

"So the glow is not for pregnancy?" She ask. Why the hell are we repeating the same thing all over again? "It is not" I shake my head. I want to add something but that might seem disrespectful so I keep my mouth shut.

"And the added weight is for nothing as well?" She glares this time and it clicked.

Mama didn't reprimand me yesterday thinking I added weight because I am pregnant, but now that scolding is definitely going to come.

Brace yourself Malak, brace yourself!

"Malak me kikeyi ne da rayuwanki haka. Kinje kin zauna kina ta qara kiba. When will you understand what I'm saying eh? When he brings in someone far better and prettier? Is that what you want? Kawai ki zama abun kallo in your husband's house?" Her voice raises with each sentence as it pierce my heart. Okay mother, wonderful speech there! Thank you so much for the love.

I want to tell her that first of all Na'eem would never do that, I just know he won't and I'm leaving his house in six months so she should relax but decided against it.

I don't want to be the reason for her death. If I tell her I'm going to leave she's going to loose her shit and probably disown me along with that, so I just kept my mouth shut and let her rant for as long as she wants to.

"You know you have to do something Malak, wata shida fah, har yanzu shiru. What will people say about that? Before rumours start circulating you need to have a child" She warns and my mouth gape open.