Chapter 9: Brenda and Jorge to the rescue

My breathing became heavy. My limbs became frozen. My body became cold, and time seemed to stop. Cranks were sprinting toward us, and I was glued to the floor.

My entire body started shaking, my eyes grew wide, my mouth was slightly agape, and the only thing I could hear was my shaky breaths and blood pounding in my ears.

Muffled noises soon turning clear brought me back to reality, and the feeling of Thomas's hand holding mine made me run. My legs pumped as fast as they could subconsciously, while the sound of groaning and screaming was close behind me.

We all bobbed and weaved past broken-down cars and garbage, my breathing hitched and my face cinched in sweat and blood. I wasn't even paying attention to anything when I was running, only the one word replaying in my mind over and over, the one word that pushed my legs and body past the limit.

Run.

I didn't realize I wasn't running anymore until the relieving feeling of my legs not being on fire relaxed me. I then saw the reason we all stopped. Cranks were ahead of us as well. We were trapped.

Suddenly, gunshots filled the air, and I looked around and saw Frypan shooting at the Cranks with a shotgun. Thomas was spitting commands, and Newt and I were silent.

Two words filled the air, and brought me out of my calm daze.

"I'm out!"

Frypan was out of bullets. Now I know I'm going to die.

Thomas worriedly glanced around when his eyes landed on me. His breathing hitched in his throat and his eyes scanned over my face, as if trying to remember every detail before we died.

Out of nowhere, the sound of a speeding car came near, and Cranks were toppled by a truck. Who was in it, I didn't know, but I was about to find out.

Brenda appeared out of the top of the truck with a pistol, firing bullets at the Cranks.

Thomas, Newt, Frypan and I all climbed into the car and flopped into the seats. I noticed Jorge was in the driver seat, driving us to safety. I landed on top of Newt, awkwardly straddling him in the bed of the truck.

His eyes grew wide and his face was practically a tomato. I climbed off of him and sat with my back pressed against the back of the seat.

My shaking hand rose to my forehead and I wiped some of the blood off. A dark, crimson substance coated my fingers. A heavy sigh escaped my parted lips and I glanced over at Thomas.

He was shaking and breathing heavily, his eyes wide with terror. His head flicked over to look at me so fast I was afraid he'd gotten whiplash.

My tongue and mouth were as dry as a desert, and all I could do was lean my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. His arms wrapped around me comfortingly, and I was safe in his embrace as we exited the Crank-infested tunnel.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it