Chapter 27: I feel like a guilty slinthead

Words couldn't describe how I felt. I was upset, shocked, but most of all, guilty and angry. I killed my best friend. I killed my best friend. My best friend was dead because of me. Because of me. And I felt so guilty because of that.

I covered my mouth with my hand and let all of my emotions spill out. Every single thing that I'd felt came spilling out in a silent, choked sob.

My face was flooded with tears and I stood frozen to the ground. Brenda, Gally, Frypan and Minho soon gathered around to see what I'd done.

Fire was spreading around the building and was coming closer. Embers and smoke swirled through the air, but I felt cold and numb inside. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. I couldn't do anything.

I finally forced my feet to move, and took a small step forward. I kneeled down in front of Newt's deceased body and ran my hand through his sweaty and knotted blonde hair.

I rested his head in my lap while tears still spilled down my face and leaked onto Newt's face. I looked up at everyone with guilt and shame plastered on my face.

Minho slowly took steps forward and kneeled in front of Newt's body. I steadily took the knife out of his stomach and closed his eyes.

I looked back up at Minho who was looking me up and down. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

I felt someone touch my shoulder and looked up to see Brenda. "I'm sorry, Brenda," I whispered. She sniffled, the warm air whipping through her dark hair. "Thomas is gone. We need to go. Now."

I carefully lifted Newt's head off of my lap and stood up. She was right. Thomas was gone. I glanced back at everyone. The wind was whipping through my hair and my body was visibly shaking.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I should've just stayed home, where I was safe. If it wasn't for me..." I licked my dry lips. "Newt would still be alive. If you hate me, I understand. I'd probably hate me, too."

I turned to Brenda. "Where's Thomas?"

"I don't know. He just left. Probably gonna do something crazy at WICKED."

"Then that's where we're going. I'm not leaving Thomas for dead. We're gonna get on the Berg and pick Thomas up from this shucking wasteland."

I started walking away from everyone outside of the building. Brenda followed behind me, then Gally, then everyone else.

The guilt and hatred and fear and anger followed in pursuit. And I knew they would follow me everywhere.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it