Chapter 17: Newt starts acting strange

After discovering that Newt had the Flare, I pulled away from our embrace. If I hadn't known he was infected, I would've found out soon just by looking into his eyes.

Newt's eyes had a natural glow that would make you feel warm and safe, but they were cold and dark and just didn't seem the same anymore.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I asked.

Newt's P.O.V

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Y/N asked, her E/C eyes full of worry and compassion.

Only two words were flowing through my brain, but I didn't let them dare to leave my lips. Kiss me. That's all I wanted her to do, but that would've been selfish of me.

I already knew she was with Tommy, but something in the back of my head was screaming at me. It had been since I'd gotten the Flare. All these mean and horrible things about my friends and the people I loved and cared about.

When I yelled at Tommy, I let the voice take over me and the Flare overcame me for a moment. I could feel my sanity slowly and agonizingly slipping away from me.

And it started to hurt the girl that I loved. She was afraid when I yelled; I could tell. It pained me to speak those awful things about her, but I couldn't do anything.

The Flare was stronger than me, and it was going to kill me. It was already killing me. But what could I have done about it?

So I reminded myself of Y/N's question: Is there anything I can do to help?

Instead of telling her what I wanted so desperately, I chose something that wouldn't hurt anyone.

"Can you take me to my room?"

She nodded, her H/C hair bouncing. Her soft hand grasped mine and she led me to my room.

~*~

Y/N and I were talking and laughing together, trying to forget about our nightmares. We had been talking for hours, and I was honestly surprised no one came to look for us.

She was currently telling me about the time when we were back at home, where we were for six months, when Tommy tripped and fell down an entire flight of stairs.

Y/N was cracking up at the memory and so was I. After we'd calmed down from our laughing fit, Y/N began to tell another story.

"I remember one time I refused to get up in the morning, so what did Thomas do? He tickled me until I peed myself."

I dramatically gasped, putting a hand over my heart. "How could he?" I dramatically asked.

Y/N giggled and her eyes sparkled. She flashed her amazing smile that could light up the whole town and looked over at me. {Please tell me you got the reference}

A mischievous plan formed in my head, and I slowly inched closer to Y/N. Her smile slowly faded, and her lips formed into a confused frown.

"Newt? What're you-"

I cut her off by leaping on top of her and tickling her stomach.

She screamed and tried to kick me off of her while laughing uncontrollably. "N-Newt! P-Please! G-G-Get off-f of m-me!" Y/N screamed through her fit of giggles.

Her cries of desperation didn't phase me and I continued to tickle her, until a small voice in the back of my head spoke.

She doesn't care about you.

My whole attitude suddenly changed, and I stopped tickling Y/N and let her breathe. She gasped and giggled as she sat up to sit next to me.

I clenched my jaw and looked in the other direction, away from Y/N.

Your P.O.V

Newt suddenly stopped tickling me and sat on the edge of the bed, his head facing away from me. It's the Flare messing with his brain, isn't it?

I scooted forward and sat next to him. "Newt?" I softly asked. I gently touched his right shoulder with my left hand. He immediately shrugged it away and looked over at me with a burning glare.

"Don't touch me." He growled.

{A/N: This has nothing to do with the story but one time I was swimming with my brother and sister when this girl swam over to us and touched me under the water. I yelled what Newt said just now and she left me alone. Okay, continue reading}

I didn't say anything. Newt's face softened and his eyes glassed up. Tears flowed down his cheeks and his lip trembled. Quiet sobs choked out from his parted lips and he buried his face in his hands.

I felt so sorry for him and stood up, pulling him into a hug. Newt's arms wrapped around my waist and he rested his head in the crook of my elbow.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Newt's body shook with every sob and words choked from his mouth.

"It's okay to cry, Newt."

He pulled away from the hug and looked up at me, his eyes blood-shot and his cheeks stained with tears. He sniffled, before maintaining enough control to talk.

"You already told me that, Y/N."

"I know," I reassured him. "I know."

Newt sniffled again. "You should go," He whispered.

I didn't bother arguing with him and left the room. I decided to go find Thomas and see what he was up to. Most likely doing something crazy.

~*~

"You're leaving? Again?"

I was currently standing with Gally and Thomas next to the vault that leads to the inner area of The Last City.

"Don't you remember? We need to get Teresa to get inside and save Minho," Thomas explained.

"Then take me with you!"

"He can't, Y/N," Gally interjected. "It'll be just like last time. We'll both be fine."

I sighed, then nodded my head.

"What's the bag for?" I asked Gally. He was holding a bag clenched in his fist.

"How else do you think we're gonna take her?" He answered.

I opened my mouth to speak, but closed it.

"We'll be back," Thomas said. He reassuringly smiled at me while Gally entered the vault. Thomas turned to enter, but I grabbed his hand.

"Thomas," I began. He turned to me with a confused look.

My hands flew to grab his collar and yanked his head down to sweetly kiss him. I crumbled the collar of his shirt between my fingers while he kissed me back.

Pulling away from the kiss, I looked Thomas in the eye and muttered, "Be safe."

"I will," He whispered. I kissed him one last time before letting him join Gally in the vault.

"You two are actually disgusting," He said.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it