Chapter 24: Newt gets worse

The ground shook beneath my feet and I lost my balance. I fell forward and landed on my knees and palms. I placed my right foot in front of me and stood back up with my left foot balancing me.

The doors leading to the city had ignited and were drenched in flames and chaos. Screams of terror and shrieks of horror and death burst into the air.

Fire was crawling all around the city and bombs were igniting everywhere. The people from the outside of The Last City were raiding the inside.

Newt began to viciously cough and black slime and goop flew from his lips. His face was almost completely drained of color and dark veins streaked across his face. "We gotta go!" I yelled over the screams. A lining of stores were sitting in a row, not yet engulfed in flames.

Newt lost his footing and fell, so Minho and I wedged our elbows under his armpits and dragged him into the stores. Gally and Thomas followed close behind us.

We set Newt down against the wall as softly as we could. "Thomas, where's Brenda?" I asked. He pulled out his walkie-talkie and paced around the room, talking.

I kneeled in front of Newt and took in his appearance. Black goop leaked from his lips and dripped down his neck. Veins spiderwebbed across his face, reminding me of when Ben was stung back at the Glade. Sweat glistened all over his face and his hair was a matted, knotted mess.

Newt was definitely becoming a Crank, but something in his dark eyes still held his innocence.

My eyes glistened with tears and my stomach shifted. Fire was devouring the city but my body felt so cold. A single tear leaked out of my eye and dripped down my cheek.

I quickly whipped it away. I forced out a smile and struggled to breathe the air that my lungs were screaming at me for me to grasp. My chest tightened and a weight seemed to weigh me down.

"How are you holding up, Newt?" I softly asked.

Newt seemed to be struggling with breathing as well, his chest rising and falling at uneven rates and his breathing was ragged and heavy. "Fine," He managed to gasp out.

"Just stay with me, okay?" I asked. Thomas was talking to Minho and Gally about something but I didn't notice.

Newt stiffly nodded his head and muttered out a quick, "Okay, N/N,"

His hands rose up to his neck and he unclipped something. I soon noticed it was a necklace. How had I not noticed it before?

"Guys, Brenda, Jorge and Vince are coming in with the Berg to get us outta here. We gotta go, c'mon," Thomas commanded.

I peeled my attention away from Thomas and focused on Newt. "Y/N, please take this."

"Newt, I'm sure it can wait. C'mon, we gotta go."

"Y/N, please-"

"Newt, get up we gotta-"

"JUST TAKE IT!"

My body froze and I was stunned. I'd never seen Newt scream like that. Ever. He was gasping for breath and was tightly holding the necklace in his hand, outstretched for me to take.

"Please, N/N, please." {😭}

My heart felt like it'd tightened in my chest and my lungs refused to breathe in the air that I needed. Tears leaked down my face and I accepted the necklace. I managed to gasp in a shaky breath and I helped Newt rise to his feet.

I turned to Thomas, Minho, and Gally. "I'll help Newt get to the Berg. You guys go on ahead. We'll be fine."

"Y/N, I'm coming with you. I know where Brenda told me it would be," Thomas interjected. He turned to Gally and Minho. "You guys will be okay, right?" They both nodded. "Alright, let's go!"

Gally and Minho ran out the door to the Berg while Thomas and I struggled to carry Newt through the flames and chaos. We found a backdoor and led ourselves and Newt through it.

Little did we know, things were about to go downhill.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it