Chapter 28: We get picked up by the Berg

"Brenda, where's Vince and Jorge and how long is it going to take for them to get here?"

Frypan, Gally, Minho, Brenda and I were all anxiously waiting for the Berg to finally arrive and get us out. I'd sincerely apologized to Minho about Newt and he understood, saying that he was of course sad about the loss of Newt but somewhat grateful he didn't have to see him as a Crank.

Fire had creeped into the building too close for comfort. Embers and ashes flew through the air and made it hard to breathe. But what could I do about it?

My WICKED uniform was wrecked. It had burns everywhere along with large holes and was making my body extremely sweaty. I couldn't wait to get onto the Berg, find Thomas, and then continue life from there.

"Don't know. Jorge said he'd be here soon."

As if he'd read her thoughts, the Berg descended down to the scorched building in a large gust of wind reflecting on my torched face and whipping my hair around my head. A sigh of relief flooded me and I turned to the WICKED building and flicked it off. Brenda was chuckling with a smirk on her face.

The Berg finally reached the ground, the legs stretching out of the bottom of the vehicle and meeting the ground. The gate slowly lowered down and hit the floor with a thump. I didn't have the energy in me to run so I walked on the gate and into the Berg.

I was sweating so much some areas had sweat where there wasn't supposed to be. "It's so hot in this shuck uniform," I managed to breathe out. We had all loaded onto the Berg and the gate was slowly closing and concealing us in cool, shallow air.

"I gotta take this thing off," I gasped.

I jogged into a small room with a bed and a wardrobe, along with a desk and a desk chair. I slipped the burning uniform off of my sweating body and threw it to the floor. I was wearing a belly shirt and shorts.

I flopped onto the stiff mattress and stared up at the ceiling. It had been a long day, and I wanted it to be over with. I wanted Thomas to be safe. I wanted everyone to be safe. Isn't that what everyone wanted?

Yes, I thought. Yes it is.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it