Chapter 11: Newt and I have a chat

Your P.O.V

Thomas, Brenda and I had a nice conversation through the ride to The Last City. I stayed cuddled up to Thomas, and she seemed a bit suspicious as to why I was sitting so close to him, but she didn't question anything.

What I was confused about, however, was how she was okay. Brenda was turning into a Crank six months ago, but she was perfectly fine.

That boggled my mind how she could seem so healthy even while having the Flare. WICKED's plans were to find a cure for the Flare, but did Brenda have the cure?

I didn't wanna ruin the moment so I left the question in the back of my mind. It still lingered, though. It almost slipped off my tongue at one point, but I caught myself.

How is she not dying? She should've been past the Gone by now, but she seems perfectly fine.

Eventually, the question took up all of my thoughts and I slowly slipped out of the conversation. Thomas and Brenda didn't seem to notice because they were so caught up in a conversation, but Newt noticed how uncomfortable I was.

"Love? You okay?"

I turned around in my seat to face him. Frypan was asleep, so he couldn't hear anything. Driving all night must've worn him out.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I replied. "Just thinking."

"What about?" He asked.

I rested my right hand on the top of the seat and my chin was held up by my left palm.

"Stuff."

"What kind of stuff?"

"Newt, stop breathing down my shuck neck with questions!" I said jokingly.

He laughed, a sound I could never get bored of. It was like comforting bells ringing. Sure, it sounded like I loved Newt more than Thomas, but I really did care about Newt and would've given my life for him.

I didn't love him in the way I loved Thomas, but I loved Newt like I'd known him my whole life.

A grin tugged at my lips as I gazed upon Newt's happy face. Sometimes, it seemed like it was just Newt and I against the world. It felt like that when he looked back up at me with a smile still plastered on his face.

His brown eyes sparkled and his body softly jerked around as Jorge drove us to the city.

"So," He began softly, "you gonna tell me what you were thinking 'bout?"

I teasingly shook my head with a smirk on my lips. "Maybe some other day," I smugly replied.

"Hey! Lovebirds! C'mon, we gotta go!"

Brenda.

I rolled my eyes and scooted to the edge of the seat. Newt opened the door for me and I hopped out with his hand in mine. I looked around and noticed we weren't near the Crank tunnel anymore.

We were in the outside of The Last City.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it.